A little confused on wiring diagram for heating.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?? eh :unsure:

Nothing additional is required as Grey is a correct colour identification for a live conductor... (re: Table 51)

for Line 3 of a 3 phase circuit yes, but this isn't L3 of a 3 phase circuit

line of a single phase circuit is brown

now if it was the negative of a DC power circuit... but its not going to be that

?? eh :unsure:

Nothing additional is required as Grey is a correct colour identification for a live conductor... (re: Table 51)
Are you certain about that? Table 51 does have grey as the colour for line 3 of a 3 phase AC circuit but surely that doesn't mean you don't sleeve it with brown in a single phase supply If that is what it is being used for). Especially as grey is the go to choice for neutral in a 3 core and earth cable.

for Line 3 of a 3 phase circuit yes, but this isn't L3 of a 3 phase circuit

line of a single phase circuit is brown

now if it was the negative of a DC power circuit... but its not going to be that
Are you certain about that? Table 51 does have grey as the colour for line 3 of a 3 phase AC circuit but surely that doesn't mean you don't sleeve it with brown in a single phase supply If that is what it is being used for). Especially as grey is the go to choice for neutral in a 3 core and earth cable.

Would it not come under Control circuits, or ELV, "And other applications"?

Which include; Black / Brown / Red / Orange / Yellow / Green / Violet / Grey / White / Pink / Turquoise as options for 'Line conductors' transmitting AC electrical energy. (with Blue for Neutral).

I have never sleeved any Orange or Grey wires on motorised valves with any other method of identification even though they are switching 230v AC.

Would it not come under Control circuits, or ELV, "And other applications"?

Which include; Black / Brown / Red / Orange / Yellow / Green / Violet / Grey / White / Pink / Turquoise as options for 'Line conductors' transmitting AC electrical energy. (with Blue for Neutral).

I have never sleeved any Orange or Grey wires on motorised valves with any other method of identification even though they are switching 230v AC.
I really don't know.
It's only recently that I've started doing heating systems, which incorporate the valves with the attached 5 core cable.
You may well be right!

I must admit that I would sleeve a core at 2 way lighting etc, but have never sleeved control wires in a heating system 🤔

Same here..

Also...
I don't recall ever finding any additional identification sleeve used on a motorised valve when doing replacements / fault investigations on an existing installation. ?

It seems that the grey wire is being used as the permanent live (PL) in this setup, which is common practice in some systems. Ensure that the grey wire is correctly identified and marked as live. The neutral might be connected elsewhere in the system, possibly through another terminal or connection point.
Is this an AI post / response?
It does not read like it was typed by a human

Edit: Having said that the posters profile has a company website in it, that company I have often found to be carrying out very poor PAT testing for a number of companies even putting pass stickers on faulty appliances

Last edited:
Is this an AI post / response?
It does not read like it was typed by a human

Edit: Having said that the posters profile has a company website in it, that company I have often found to be carrying out very poor PAT testing for a number of companies even putting pass stickers on faulty appliances
Scary if it is AI! :oops: