A safety warning

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks back I was replacing an old rewirable distribution board in a factory . Having fitted an MEM Eaton 24 way T/Phase I was short of a 10 amp SP MCB to power some office lights.

I fitted a Proteus from the van ( it sort of fitted) temporary till the next day.

Return with the correct breaker, switch off the Proteus, remove the two cables from it , accompanied by a great splatting and sparking performance. Find that the Proteus does not actually switch off although it felt positive in both directions. Have never known a breaker do that before.

And don't give me the "Oh you should have tested it first" sanctimonious stuff 'cos I bet you would have done the same. ;)

Deke

ive had a few things like that not work properly before, so tester is always used just to make sure. even if its just sticking one probe on a terminal

(and last time i didnt have tester with me, i cut through a 6mm

ive had a few things like that not work properly before, so tester is always used just to make sure. even if its just sticking one probe on a terminal (and last time i didnt have tester with me, i cut through a 6mm

damage to cutters

note: i dont normally use these cutters for 6mm twin! i had left a job to go price another, and was asked if i could remove a cooker cable whilst i was there. didnt have my main tool bag (which includes tester!), and these were the first thing i found in van that would cut through the cable

even with the damage, they still cut very well

DSCF1528.jpg

DSCF1529.jpg

ive had a few things like that not work properly before, so tester is always used just to make sure. even if its just sticking one probe on a terminal (and last time i didnt have tester with me, i cut through a 6mm

A couple of weeks back I was replacing an old rewirable distribution board in a factory . Having fitted an MEM Eaton 24 way T/Phase I was short of a 10 amp SP MCB to power some office lights. I fitted a Proteus from the van ( it sort of fitted) temporary till the next day.

Return with the correct breaker, switch off the Proteus, remove the two cables from it , accompanied by a great splatting and sparking performance. Find that the Proteus does not actually switch off although it felt positive in both directions. Have never known a breaker do that before.

And don't give me the "Oh you should have tested it first" sanctimonious stuff 'cos I bet you would have done the same. ;)

Deke
Had a callout - proteus MCB only passing 210V nasty as it gave the impression of a dead circuit.

Had another weird one today 60A fuse in switch fuse isolator only passing 180V so lights would flicker on and then die, RCD test button wouldn't operate, sockets worked intermittently - never encountered this before so took some working out :(

Had a callout - proteus MCB only passing 210V nasty as it gave the impression of a dead circuit.Had another weird one today 60A fuse in switch fuse isolator only passing 180V so lights would flicker on and then die, RCD test button wouldn't operate, sockets worked intermittently - never encountered this before so took some working out :(
Are you saying the fuse had blown and was passing current through the carbonised residue inside the cartridge, Ive kown that happen.

Deke

Are you saying the fuse had blown and was passing current through the carbonised residue inside the cartridge, Ive kown that happen.Deke
Don't think so, its a new installation in a garage put in by me. But the 60A fuse I obtained from the wholesaler did seem like it had been on the shelf for a long time!!!! Plus I thought there were some strange goings on when I first energised system, like MCBs vibrating slightly when florries started up. It tested OK at the time, but didn't seem quite right - and it wasn't.