Aditional DB on TT supply but with existing faults

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_k

Reaction score
Evening Guys.

Ive just been to price up some work at a b+b. They have an outbuilding with one b+b room supplied from main building via 6mm t&e on catenery wire. This is way too small as running elec shower, heating, sockets, and immersion. So needs to be replaced. Looked in the main cu / meter area and found a few faults.

Bare in mind this work detailed below was carried out 9 yrs ago.

Supply is TT with 25mm tails. Meter - old school ELCB - henley block. Tails are then split to 16th ed split load hager and a metal clad wylex sw fuse that supplies a second db (via 16mm t+e) for b+b rooms. Present supply to outbuilding is from rcd side of hager. On the non rcd side of the hager is the lighting for b+b, this is relying on the elcb for protection.

Now im only working on the rcd side of the hager, so technically im covered rcd wise for the supply.

What would be the best way to deal with the other problems / would i have to as im not working on them?

I was thinking of replacing the elcb with a 100mA type s. This would help with the metal clad sw fuse but would i have to 30mA rcd after the sw fuse to cover for the 16mm T+E. The cable runs under floors and in walls. The lighting in the hager, was thinking of rcbo`ing the lot.

Again though. As im not working on the other stuff am i obliged to sort it, whats your thoughts?

Cheers

Chris

Evening Guys.Ive just been to price up some work at a b+b. They have an outbuilding with one b+b room supplied from main building via 6mm t&e on catenery wire. This is way too small as running elec shower, heating, sockets, and immersion. So needs to be replaced. Looked in the main cu / meter area and found a few faults.

Bare in mind this work detailed below was carried out 9 yrs ago.

Supply is TT with 25mm tails. Meter - old school ELCB - henley block. Tails are then split to 16th ed split load hager and a metal clad wylex sw fuse that supplies a second db (via 16mm t+e) for b+b rooms. Present supply to outbuilding is from rcd side of hager. On the non rcd side of the hager is the lighting for b+b, this is relying on the elcb for protection.

Now im only working on the rcd side of the hager, so technically im covered rcd wise for the supply.

What would be the best way to deal with the other problems / would i have to as im not working on them?

I was thinking of replacing the elcb with a 100mA type s. This would help with the metal clad sw fuse but would i have to 30mA rcd after the sw fuse to cover for the 16mm T+E. The cable runs under floors and in walls. The lighting in the hager, was thinking of rcbo`ing the lot.

Again though. As im not working on the other stuff am i obliged to sort it, whats your thoughts?

Cheers

Chris
do you mean a voltage trip?

if its an ELCB then it will be rated 100mA or 30mA anyway, or of course it could be 300 or 500 or anything really.

you wont need an S type if you fit a 100mA front end.

I got lost at everything else cos Im still trying to get my head around your 'elcb' bit.

Sorry should have meen a bit clearer. Voltage operated ELCB

One of these puppies
IMGP2805-1.jpg

Was going for s type to discriminate with the other rcds further along the system

forget about that, its an old voltage trip, rip it out and replace it with a 100mA RCD in a plastic enclosure, TT requires this as a minimum for a front end as you have a M/C CU, dont worry about S type, you dont need another 100mA anywhere,

everything else will need 30mA.

as for the work being only 9 yrs ago, disgraceful that they left this fitted.

the rest of the remedials,

well thats up to you and the client as to how much you do.