Advice Needed On Test Results

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are both legs faulty?

if not then simply renew to LL socket and use the one good leg to the upper socket on a spur.
Thats what im gonna find out tomorrow.

I was thinking about cutting the dodgy length of cable in half. (from below in the cellar)

Then testing to see which half is faulty.

Replace this half.

Join the 2 cables in a junction box.

Is it acceptable to have a junction box on a ring ?  (It will always be accessable if its in the cellar)

Is it acceptable to have a junction box on a ring ?  (It will always be accessable if its in the cellar)
Perfectly acceptable. If ever in any doubt about rings Appendix 15 of the regs has a good summary of typical ring configurations.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only read through the above

As Dave says,,

It'll either be a dodgy switch or loose termination for the lighting circuit

For the ring final I'd disconnect both ends of the ring at the CU and then connect the L&N of one end together... if you then continuity test at each socket between L&N the readings should gradually rise as you go along the ring. Eventually you'll find that it'll go open circuit. Once you've tested at each socket and noted the readings you'll have an idea of how its been wired.. you should find the open circuit earth between the highest reading socket and one of the ones that gave you an open circuit reading.
This is one of the best bit of advice I have seen on websites for a long time. Really before testing, some assessment of the installation is needed. This is where historical data and test records come into their own. Without these the job becomes major if you do it properly. 

Well........I`ve managed to sort the dodgy ring circuit.

Lucky for me, it was the leg at the low level socket.

Whoever fitted the skirting board, stuck 2 nails right in line with the cables.

The nail that hit the cable went straight through the earth, & half of the line conductor. (pics below)

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

Post #19. Feel free to scoob that if you like :innocent

This just shows what a complete waste of time safe zones are.  Even when it is abundantly clear to the dimmest labourer on site that there might be a cable there, they still manage to  put a nail through it.

This also must show a lack of testing by whoever did the kitchen work. Why does that not surprise me?

Im glad I tested it.....looking at the state of that cable !

A useful bit of kit for testing ring circuits if you haven't already got one:

http://isswww.co.uk/Accessories/Kewtech/Kewtech-Kewcheck-R2/

And when cross connecting your ring ends at the CU I find a couple of lever type Wago blocks handy to have rather than dicking about with traditional connector blocks. (Not always a goer if the ends are doubled over though):

https://www.wagobox.com/shop/lever/2-pole-lever-cage-clamp-terminal-block-20pcs.html
I`ve just tried some of these wago level calmps while doing the ring testing.

Good stuff........Alot easier this way !

Im glad I tested it.....looking at the state of that cable !

I`ve just tried some of these wago level calmps while doing the ring testing.

Good stuff........Alot easier this way !
Glad to have helped with the tip! Good you found the problem.

(Wagos are IMO sent by God but be careful...............a "friend" of mine, in a rush one day recently thought he'd be "clever" as "he" didn't have a replacement for a damaged batten lamp holder in a loft picked up on an EICR. "He" decided to use a 3-pole Wago to temporarily make safe the end where "he" would normally have used a traditional terminal strip............then "he" thought "he'd" get on with the dead tests...............Thank God "he" tested it and realised "his" mistake.................... :coat

Glad to have helped with the tip! Good you found the problem.

(Wagos are IMO sent by God but be careful...............a "friend" of mine, in a rush one day recently thought he'd be "clever" as "he" didn't have a replacement for a damaged batten lamp holder in a loft picked up on an EICR. "He" decided to use a 3-pole Wago to temporarily make safe the end where "he" would normally have used a traditional terminal strip............then "he" thought "he'd" get on with the dead tests...............Thank God "he" tested it and realised "his" mistake.................... :coat
I know a guy done the exact same thing once,   :Blushing

he said it was very easy to get caught out without thinking,

We all make mistakes. I had a rush job today changing a couple of circuit breakers switched circuit off but left socket tester in. Doing insulation test insulation was right down couldn't understand it as it was an in use circuit but then remembered tester was still in removed it and everything was then fine.

We all make mistakes. I had a rush job today changing a couple of circuit breakers switched circuit off but left socket tester in. Doing insulation test insulation was right down couldn't understand it as it was an in use circuit but then remembered tester was still in removed it and everything was then fine.
ever left your method 2 plug still in after testing?  headbang

does anyone still do a method2?

is it still allowed even?

ever left your method 2 plug still in after testing? headbang

does anyone still do a method2?

is it still allowed even?
13a plug top with live and earth linked?

[Lie mode]No never use it[\lie mode]

Which means I never forget its still in and power circuit up. Not even an average of twice a month. Nope, never.

Think I got away with that.

Lol!

13a plug top with live and earth linked?

[Lie mode]No never use it[\lie mode]

Which means I never forget its still in and power circuit up. Not even an average of twice a month. Nope, never.

Think I got away with that.

Lol!
OH DEAR OH DEAR OH DEAR

:shakehead

I ended up putting the fuse back in mine,  :|

Latest posts