Advice on replacement wall socket please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually, it is CE marked. although looking at it, the spacing doesnt look correct

pic from the blog site

59eba06be973a_furutech003.jpg.a3768d82e2f784c5f2703ee3cdf5fb48.jpg

Well folks, you've convinced me to call a sparky round to look at it and get it wired up properly. What a great source of knowledge this place is though - thanks for all the speedy replies!

good. until they turn up, you should either turn off the power or put the old socket back on

and dont believe the lettuced those sites come up with, hundreds of £ for a socket that will make no noticeable difference to anything

If I just don't plug anything into it then isn't that OK? If I turn off the power, I think a whole bunch of wall sockets get turned off too.

actually, it is CE marked. although looking at it, the spacing doesnt look correct

pic from the blog site

CE-and-China-Export.jpg.88edc12c638d1e91afa7a8d8b3f236d8.jpg

The CE also stands for Chinese export. Their spacing is slightly different. It is cheap ****e.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the £142 price you quote is for the gold plated version, not the rhodium plated which is £170.

In addition to all of the above comments, Due to the potential dangers of this DIY alteration, I have added comment to the opening post.

As well as the parties directly involved with posting and answering this question, it does need be abundantly clear to any casual browsers of the forum that breaking open a functional ring circuit in this manner will "appear to work" when the power is restored but all of the overload protection has now been compromised.  The following note was added to the OP;

**  MODERATORS COMMENT **

Assuming this supplied from a standard  32amp ring circuit, then this method of removing a double socket outlet and fitting two single sockets is a significant danger to the integrity and safety of the whole circuit. There will now be incorrect overload protection to the whole circuit leaving risk of damage to the cables, overheating, or electrical fire in the event of a fault.

It shows a direct breach of wiring regulation 612.2.2 as the ring continuity has clearly not been checked following the alteration.

It fails to follow the guidance of numerous other wiring regulation or the standard circuit arrangements illustrated in Appendix 15 of BS7671 wiring regulations.

This wiring method could be considered as dangerous as removing a good set of tyres off a car and fitting tyres with little or no tread. The car will work, but in an emergency it will probably not stop you quick enough.

Doc H.

As I am fairly new to the trade and have much to learn please explain to me what the benefits are of this type of socket

just curious

I suppose in short, better sound. 

•Material thickness: chassis and side plates 5.0mm
•Nonmagnetic Rhodium plated FP-1363-D(R) Schuko socket star-wired to a FI-10(R) IEC Inlet. 
•Piezo ceramic and nano-carbon damping spikes.
•A layer of Formula GC-303 bonded to the bottom plate effectively shields against EMI
  (Electro Magnetic Interference) 
•Star-wired Furutech α (Alpha) -14, 2.0 sq. mm (14 AWG) conductors for low electrical resistance
 conductors insulated within resonance-absorbing tubing.

Tighter manufacturing tolerances, a more consistent electrical connection being made and EMI/RFI rejection maybe. TBH my knowledge in this area is sub-par. But there are a large number of reports and a consensus amongst some circles that this is an upgrade with a positive effect on SQ.

•Nonmagnetic Rhodium plated FP-1363-D(R) Schuko socket star-wired to a FI-10(R) IEC Inlet. 
•A layer of Formula GC-303 bonded to the bottom plate effectively shields against EMI
•Star-wired Furutech α (Alpha) -14, 2.0 sq. mm (14 AWG) conductors for low electrical resistance

Tighter manufacturing tolerances, a more consistent electrical connection being made and EMI/RFI rejection maybe. TBH my knowledge in this area is sub-par. But there are a large number of reports and a consensus amongst some circles that this is an upgrade with a positive effect on SQ.
With the greatest of respect. You do realise that this is all a nonsense. It is literally like me connecting an expensive water tap to one sink and a cheap tap to another sink and thinking that the water tastes nicer out of the expensive tap. It's all coming through the one pipe.

Tighter manufacturing tolerances, a more consistent electrical connection being made and EMI/RFI rejection maybe.

between the power stations and your socket there are hundreds of miles of wiring and hundreds of connections. do you really think replacing a socket is going to make much difference?

Well, perhaps a counter-analogy might be this: water may travel for many miles to your tap, but adding a filter to it can still remove impurities. 

I have a superb quality never been used light switch, British Standard kite marked, good quality brass screws (not cheap plated rubbish), thick good quality white plastic and high quality insulating material shielding the contacts.

Manufactured in the mid 80's by MK. This is a rare fantastic quality product the likes you will not be able to purchase today and will not cause any interference with your hifi.  Russ Andrews has already approached me about this product (he hasn't).

For one week only I will reserve this for you at the almost give away price of £100. Please pm me if you when you want to purchase, be quick 😉

Total BS of the extreme kind.

If (and it's a VERY big IF) changing a socket made any difference, then you ought to be changing all the wiring in your house for oxygen free copper, putting a gold plated fuse (and holder) in place of the rubbish thing the DNO provided. And you would be horrified to learn a large part of the distribution network uses aluminium cable.

And the other think that kills this silly idea, is a good quality hi fi amp will have a very good well designed power supply that rejects all mains borne interference. ANYONE that claims they can hear a difference by changing a mains socket is also therefore saying the power supplies in high end hi fi kit are rubbish.

sounds a bit like a placebo (bad pun intended) . If people think they can hear a difference then they can.....  

Does a tree in the middle of a forest make a sound when it falls over, but there is no-one around to hear it?