Advice on replacement wall socket please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would make a lot more sense would be to install a screened isolation 250/250V transformer along with a secondary I/C filter to feed the music room via a separate CU. It would require a clean earth best done with a coupe of deep driven rods separate from the MET.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read another blurb..........

quote..A few pointers when installing these outlets. The faceplate is slightly longer than a standard socket. Measure carefully if installing them in tight corners, or adjacent to other sockets. Secondly, each outlet has an independent terminal, so make sure you have extra cable to jumper both outlets together in case your existing receptacle only has one set of wires. Lastly, the screws supplied are a bit on the short side. Probably fine if your backbox is not deeply recessed, but woefully short for my house installation.

If you do not know how to switch off your mains supply, test your circuit for live current, or to do the installation, please pay a qualified electrician to do it for you. This is not really a situation where you should be cheap.

First impressions after a 24 hour run-in of the outlet were positive. They gripped my matching Furutech FI-UK-1363(G) mains plug tightly and firmly. Apart from a refined smoothness, micro-detail was a step up compared to the stock outlet (a two year old Legrand). High frequencies were a touch cleaner and more extended. It was a subtle improvement but not of the earth shattering nature.

After a week of run in (my source equipment are left powered up permanently), the Furutech opened up slightly. The positive initial impressions remained but the refined smoothness gave way to openness without any hint of harshness. I generally find gold plated connectors a bit soft sounding, so it was a pleasant surprise that the Furutech did not dull transients or obscure detail. There is a possibility that this boils down to the mating of similar metals between the outlet and the matching Furutech UK plug used in my system.

To put things in perspective, I found greater differences in replacing power cords, or receptacles on my power distributor. The improvement brought about by changing the wall socket probably counted for a subtle but noticeable improvement in the 5-10 % region. In a top notch setup, this little bit of difference is enough to bring the system to a higher level. I would tweak elsewhere first, but for the audiophile that has done the whole works except the wall socket, this is well worth the effort......unquote

'nuff said

:coat

Internal wiring of the socket is 2mm......really?, oh well

also it states in the blurb it is a Shuko socket, again, really?..unless it is manufactured by them , I thought  Shuko was a style of socket used in Europe

anti resonance tubing?...interesting!
They're alluding to the mosaic style that Schuko use by having a modular socket and faceplate.

Total BS of the extreme kind.

If (and it's a VERY big IF) changing a socket made any difference, then you ought to be changing all the wiring in your house for oxygen free copper, putting a gold plated fuse (and holder) in place of the rubbish thing the DNO provided. And you would be horrified to learn a large part of the distribution network uses aluminium cable.

And the other think that kills this silly idea, is a good quality hi fi amp will have a very good well designed power supply that rejects all mains borne interference. ANYONE that claims they can hear a difference by changing a mains socket is also therefore saying the power supplies in high end hi fi kit are rubbish.

Well, a  lot of people also upgrade all the wiring in the house (or at least for the audio circuit) with a separate CU installed too - and with upgraded fuses:

https://highend-electronics.com/products/synergistic-research-black-quantum-fuses

Quite like to see the scientific evidence for some of this audiofile equipment. An  I mean independently verified data, not just some sell sheet the company producing the equipment has manufactured. 

Most people once they get over 25 - 30 years old have had their hearing degrade naturally to a point that you simply wouldn't physically be able to tell the difference. 

Well, a  lot of people also upgrade all the wiring in the house (or at least for the audio circuit) with a separate CU installed too - and with upgraded fuses:

https://highend-electronics.com/products/synergistic-research-black-quantum-fuses

Seriously.  A lot of people do all sorts of weird things and a rather smaller number make a lot of profit from helping them.     

The circuitry of any decent HiFi amp is designed to make it immune to Kettles going on and off,  Powerline ethernet plugs, local lightning and next door's vacuum cleaner.  Rubidium cored dilithium plugs polished to perfection with the fur of baby unicorns will not make a decent amp any better or any more immune.   
If you are having mains-borne interference problems get your consumer unit/ circuit wiring professionally checked.  If that doesn't fix it get a better amp / other components or if cheaper you might first try a transient filtered mains distribution block for the audio gear. 

This is not opinion - I used to design Military electronics equipment for a living !  

Well, if it’s CE marked, then it’s illegal for sale!

There is no harmonised standard published in the Official Journal of the EU that covers BS 1363 sockets!

The clue is that the standard is BS 1363, NOT BS EN 1363...

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people once they get over 25 - 30 years old have had their hearing degrade naturally to a point that you simply wouldn't physically be able to tell the difference. 

I told you not to stand next to that crusher.

Audiofile's  that have the money tend to be "getting on a bit".

My hearing has a loss in the high end of the range. Probably something to me photographing punk and rock bands, I used the speaker stacks to steady the cameras

I told you not to stand next to that crusher.

Audiofile's  that have the money tend to be "getting on a bit".

My hearing has a loss in the high end of the range. Probably something to me photographing punk and rock bands, I used the speaker stacks to steady the cameras

Even though I was fairly religious wearing ear defenders (cement mills were far louder than any of our crushers), even people who've looked after their hearing meticulously  and never subjected themselves to high noise environments will still have lost their top end. 

This is why kids can often hear those annoying cat deterrents an other such supposed 'ultra sonic' devices and we can't, I remember as a kid growing up in the country being able to hear bats 'clicking' at night. I know I can't hear them anymore, and I still pass my annual hearing assessment with flying colours. I'm well in the range of what I should be able to hear at my age. 

Well, if it’s CE marked, then it’s illegal for sale!

There is no harmonised standard published in the Official Journal of the EU that covers BS 1363 sockets!

The clue is that the standard is BS 1363, NOT BS EN 1363...
It's not ce marked. It's Chinese export