Advice on replacement wall socket please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure; I read this on wikipedia:

A logo very similar to CE marking has been alleged to stand for China Export because some Chinese manufacturers apply it to their products.[19] However, the European Commission says that this is a misconception. The matter was raised at the European Parliament in 2008.[20] The Commission responded that it was unaware of the existence of any "Chinese Export" mark and that, in its view, the incorrect application of the CE marking on products was unrelated to incorrect depictions of the symbol, although both practices took place. It had initiated the procedure to register CE marking as a Community collective trademark, and was in discussion with Chinese authorities to ensure compliance with European legislation.

Incidentally, if you zoom in on the picture provided by rapparee, I think the CE mark on the socket looks more like the standard CE on the left than the Chinese Export symbol on the right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what @Sidewinder is pointing out, and I come across it more than I like in control panels. Is just because it has a CE mark doesn't mean that it meets the requirements to fulfill CE. 

In effect they've just slapped a marking on it, they aren't complying to relevant standards. Unfortunately there is no law for the company to provide users with the CE documentation, they only legally have to provide it to the HSE or trading standards when they get involved. 

In any case I 'heard' standing the socket on a folded tinfoil rectangle aligned North South in the geometric centre of the room is enough to provide 92 - 101% of the promised sound improvements . . 

At the end of the day we are all different and have our own personal quirks, hobbies, interests or pet hates, that we choose to spend our hard earned money on or not. Some may like expensive fishing gear and sit on a wet river bank for hours on end, or expensive wine as it tastes better than supermarket wine even though it all ends up a few hours later as human waste, or having designer label clothes that are double or triple the price of reasonable functional cheaper items, or investing time and money in to a car or motorbike that you only drive in the summer months so it won't get wet or dirty.

So, if someone wants to spend their money on something that they think will improve their audio experience, then fine that's their choice. But the thing I don't understand is why the people who are experts at advising on this "magic" audio improvement gear, don't also check the requirements of electrical installations as per the guidance of BS7671. It looks like they can research one aspect of their hobby, but miss out defects to fundamental safety aspects of the whole installation that can result from some of the audio improvement alterations. Why don't the websites selling these (rather expensive) electrical accessories, which have great detail about the specification (and how it enhances the audio experience), also list all of the applicable wiring regulations that must still be complied with when replacing a perfectly functional accessory.  

Doc H.   

Well, a  lot of people also upgrade all the wiring in the house (or at least for the audio circuit) with a separate CU installed too - and with upgraded fuses:

https://highend-electronics.com/products/synergistic-research-black-quantum-fuses

Hi,

This is a USA website, so has little if any, relevance to electrical installations in the UK.

I have a very strong opinion on electrical wiring methods in the USA which is not good, and is shared by many other professionals.

Suffice to say, it is best to totally ignore any, advice on home electrical wiring from the USA if you are in the UK or Europe, or any country that is based on BS7671.

I think what @Sidewinder is pointing out, and I come across it more than I like in control panels. Is just because it has a CE mark doesn't mean that it meets the requirements to fulfill CE. 

In effect they've just slapped a marking on it, they aren't complying to relevant standards. Unfortunately there is no law for the company to provide users with the CE documentation, they only legally have to provide it to the HSE or trading standards when they get involved. 

What I am pointing out actually Rob, is that plugs and sockets for domestic use are excluded from the Low Voltage Directive.

To legally bear the CE mark, a device MUST meet the EHSR's of the relevant directive, and can ONLY legally bear the mark if it does.

There is no Directive that covers BS 1363 socket outlets.

The nearest would be the LVD, and that is here in pdf form:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32014L0035&from=EN

If you refer to Annexe II, para 5 this can be seen.

I'm not sure; I read this on wikipedia:

A logo very similar to CE marking has been alleged to stand for China Export because some Chinese manufacturers apply it to their products.[19] However, the European Commission says that this is a misconception. The matter was raised at the European Parliament in 2008.[20] The Commission responded that it was unaware of the existence of any "Chinese Export" mark and that, in its view, the incorrect application of the CE marking on products was unrelated to incorrect depictions of the symbol, although both practices took place. It had initiated the procedure to register CE marking as a Community collective trademark, and was in discussion with Chinese authorities to ensure compliance with European legislation.

Incidentally, if you zoom in on the picture provided by rapparee, I think the CE mark on the socket looks more like the standard CE on the left than the Chinese Export symbol on the right.
Don't believe all you read on Wikipedia, however, in this case, it is pretty close to the truth as far as the EU see it.

It is suspected that the incorrect CE marking has been applied out of ignorance.

So the fact it is not CE marked makes it illegal to sell.

Not true dave, CE marking only applies to products that fall under the New Approach Directives, thus would require to conform with an EN standard.

BS 1363 is not an EN standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this site where this particular item is installed:

http://singaporehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/furutech-fp-1363-uk-ac-outlet.html

Each outlet has an independent terminal - the terminals of each have to be jumpered together if the outlet only has one set of wires. I.e. if it has 2 sets of wires, then one goes to each terminal and they do not need to be jumpered.

If it works fine now with no issue - under what circumstances might it become a problem?

That is not exactly what the site says.

You are inferring that.

The person writing that is also incompetent when it comes to the modification of electrical circuits.

Whilst Singapore is not the UK, it does look to BS7671, al be it, I believe an earlier version than that which is current in the UK at this point in time.