Advice on timer required for Storage Heaters Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freedomrun

Reaction score
TN-S supply. Customer has 3 Storage Heaters, each connected to it's own 16A MCB within the CU, along with all other circuits and has only just realised that the Storage heaters are energised all the time and not just on the low night tariff - although the install has a new Electronic Meter and has never had two seperate meter heads installed. Customer wants the storage heaters to be placed on a Timer as the Bill is obviously very high. Any advice on the best way to go about this and what sort of timer to install. Could i leave the MCB's in the CU and connect the timer in the Line of each storage heater circuit. The DOB has confirmed that the customer has cheap rate tariff at night. Many Thanks in advance.

no problem with timers on outgoing circuits. just about any timer would do the job, although i usually install analogue type because they are easier to use/change time

I've used a DIN rail mounted timer controling a contactor before for night storage heaters before (bottm right)

4584011073_c159a7dc0b.jpg

I used them to control the supply, but I could have easily used them to control the feed to the heaters

Last edited by a moderator:
So IF there's a dual rate meter, there will be a DNO's timeswitch as well.

Can you not get an off peak feed from that? if only to switch a contactor.

It would be better to switch them from the same timer that's switching the metering to off peak rate, rather than your own timer that may not be exactly synchronised.

TN-S supply. Customer has 3 Storage Heaters, each connected to it's own 16A MCB within the CU, along with all other circuits and has only just realised that the Storage heaters are energised all the time and not just on the low night tariff - although the install has a new Electronic Meter and has never had two seperate meter heads installed. Customer wants the storage heaters to be placed on a Timer as the Bill is obviously very high. Any advice on the best way to go about this and what sort of timer to install. Could i leave the MCB's in the CU and connect the timer in the Line of each storage heater circuit. The DOB has confirmed that the customer has cheap rate tariff at night. Many Thanks in advance.
It appears from this there is only 1 single tariff meter. If this is the case timers wont really help, the customer will have to request a dual rate or off peak heating meter. There are so many suppliers and tariffs he will have to decide. some areas offer economy 7 or economy 10. Talking it through with the engineer may result in a better deal where they supply a timed output