Please Help - Heatstore Dynamic Quantum Storage Heaters HSDQ Range

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilolady

Reaction score
We have had 4 storage heaters installed prior to our moving into the property just over 3 years ago. They have operated erratically throughout this period. On any one night, any one or several of the heaters fail to charge entirely/charge minimally/charge well. We were using Economy 7 and now Octopus Go (4 hours). We realise we have reduced charging time but this is not the issue because we have extended the charge time in settings to 7 hours (3 hours on day time rate supply) with no benefit. My questions are: it seems unlikely that all four heaters have been faulty since installation (although they were badly installed and had to be emptied and the heating elements reset in the correct positions), so do you think this is a power supply issue? What happens if more power is called for than be supplied- would the power trip?). How does the heater communicate with the power supply and where within this system could a supply fault be occurring? We have had the heaters checked, several times, and no fault found. Current settings for all heaters is 22c, comfort setting on 8pm - 12pm, charging time set 12.30 to 4.30pm. So far this year we have done a factory reset several times, set temperature to 28 at 12pm along with our current settings (which worked well for about 2 months last winter - supply Octopus Go). Please help, any advice greatly appreciated. Today the living room heater was stone cold this morning - tomorrow who knows? We need something to come back to our landlord with because to date they have not been interested so long as their electrician okays the actual heaters - meaning we are on our own with this (e.g. the fault must be with us not the system) and it cant go on - husband is elderly and has a medical need for heat. Thank you for any help.

Reading the manufacturers claims regarding the buying and installing of these heaters I would suggest that you contact them directly as they are probably the best people to provide a solution to your problem

Thank you. Unfortunately we have previously contacted them which resulted in a cursory inspection of one heater and a snippy telephone call to go through the diagnostic menu. It was a warm Spring afternoon and I had turned the temperature down for a few hours to save the heat for later. I was told that I wouldn't get much heat the next day because I had done this. I don't get the point of these heaters they are all bells and whistles but when you think through the way they operate it is illogical and user unfriendly. But that complaint is for another day.

These look like Dimplex Quantum units - so do they have a single isolation switch or 2 isolation switches?

You MUST leave the 24 x 7 switch on ALL the time or else the system doesn't know if its coming or going

Apologies for the long delay in replying. Regarding the wiring please see photo. There are two switches and we do leave the switches on 24/7.

We have a newer model that was installed recently in the utility room that seems to work as expected yet even this heater failed to charge at all one night last week, but resumed operating as normal the following night. Regarding the wiring I have taken a photograph of our consumer unit but do not know how to post it.

Okay have managed to owork it out.

Attachments

• consumer unit.jpg
    consumer unit.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
The left-hand CU has the MCBs for 1. immersion heater, 2. hall, 3. lounge, 4. bedroom, 5. kitchen.

And this CU seems to be fed from the smart meter ?

And that CU will only be powered when Octopus switch that CU on during the Off-Peak period of 1230 to 1630 ?

So unless the heaters have extra connections from the full-rate circuits, they will only "charge" during the Off-Peak period ?

Not at all during the "comfort setting on 8pm - 12pm," ?

So leave the heaters always ON, and they will "charge" during the Off-Peak period