Is it worth moving to Octopus Intelligent Go or another tariff?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris020

Reaction score
I have had a Solex system since February, and we have managed to save around £1300 to date on their export Agile Outgoing Octopus May 2019 and input Flexible Octopus 26.85p/kWh52.32p/day

Now we are not getting any export to the grid or feeding into the emersion heater, based on time of year etc. I have a couple of questions if I may.

Is it worth moving to Octopus Intelligent Go or another, cheap electricity from 23:30 to 05:30. Currently, 7.5 p per unit. Even though we do not have an EV at this time, (realise I may need to say we have an EV). Main reason being we only have LPG to heat the house/water and this mega expensive, so I assume using cheap night time energy to heat the tank would work out cheaper?

With Solex is it also possible to charge the batteries during the night from the grid based on the winter weather, if so how would I set this up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a Solex system since February, and we have managed to save around £1300 to date on their export Agile Outgoing Octopus May 2019 and input Flexible Octopus 26.85p/kWh52.32p/day

Now we are not getting any export to the grid or feeding into the emersion heater, based on time of year etc. I have a couple of questions if I may.

Is it worth moving to Octopus Intelligent Go or another, cheap electricity from 23:30 to 05:30. Currently, 7.5 p per unit. Even though we do not have an EV at this time, (realise I may need to say we have an EV). Main reason being we only have LPG to heat the house/water and this mega expensive, so I assume using cheap night time energy to heat the tank would work out cheaper?

With Solex is it also possible to charge the batteries during the night from the grid based on the winter weather, if so how would I set this up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You cant get away with that, they do a test charge under their control.

You cant get away with that, they do a test charge under their control.
Thanks, John just found that out, appears we need to go for Cosy unless there are any other ideas.. Forgot to mention we will want to heat the water and charge the batteries overnight to compensate for the lack of sun during winter.

Hi Chris, I'm on octopus go but have neen for a year and that's what I do, charge the batteries and hot water on the cheap rate and maybe do a wash In the night too so we are running on battery for the day most of the time, so only costing 9.5p rather than 29p. Worth getting on to one, not sure what offers/tariffs there are now.

Thanks, John just found that out, appears we need to go for Cosy unless there are any other ideas.. Forgot to mention we will want to heat the water and charge the batteries overnight to compensate for the lack of sun during winter.
Octopus Go is another EV tariff but they dont check if you have an EV, a little more expensive than intelligent but still low priced at 9.5p. People I know that have gone onto GO with no EV have just said theyve got one on order or getting one as a company car etc.
Of course, you could get yourself an EV and save a fortune.

Thanks both

@johnb2713 2713 EV is on the list for next year when I have saved up the pennies. I am struggling to find the Go tariff that does not specifically mention that they don't test charge.

@monkey5 Exactly what I am after, but as mentioned they seem to insist on an EV.

Thanks both

@johnb2713 2713 EV is on the list for next year when I have saved up the pennies. I am struggling to find the Go tariff that does not specifically mention that they don't test charge.
Octopus GO is the one not the confusingly named Octopus GO Intelligent.

https://octopus.energy/smart/go/

EV's really do cut the cost of motoring if you can charge at home and the performance is staggering even on the mundane ones.

@monkey5 Exactly what I am after, but as mentioned they seem to insist on an EV.
Octopus GO is an EV tariff but they dont require proof. Friends and family are on it with battery systems with no issues.

Last edited:
@johnb2713 how do they test charge it? Do you have to have a proper wall box?
You either have to have a compatable wallbox eg Zappi or Ohme (there is another one but I cant remember the make) or a compatible EV, it's big list of EV's and growing every week. We have one EV that is compatible and one that isnt (BMW i3 and MG5). Our wallbox became compatible a month ago (ZAPPI) and now both cars can charge on intelligent. Intelligent does give you a fixed time 23:30 to 05:30 at 7.5p so I max everything out during that time period last 3 days weve hit 24 kW for 90 minutes, in addition under Octopus control they will give you additional times during peak period (05:30 to 23:30) at 7.5p. In home assistant I can watch when Zappi is signalled by Octopus to charge and if it's during the peak time my system switched the house batteries to charge, immersion heater on, heatpump cranked up etc as well.

@johnb2713

Saving sessions? Checked Octopus FAQs cannot find any info:( lost I am afraid.

1. Sorry to keep asking questions, but I am not sure if I have set the Solax App correctly, screenshots attached?

2. I have also set up the immersion timer to come on during off-peak, set to 02.15 to 04.15, mind we only just about managed two showers and a small bath this morning, ideas?

Hopefully this will be my last for a while:)

During my younger years, I am sure I would have worked this all out for myself, Thoughts very much appreciated.

Attachments

• Solax1.JPG
    Solax1.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 0
  • Solax2.JPG
    Solax2.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No apologies needed for asking questions, none of us were born with this sort of knowledge.

Saving Sessions:
https://octopus.energy/saving-sessions/

You could try increase the thermostat temperature on the immersion heater, this effectively gives you more bath / shower water because you need less of the hotter water to get your desired temperature. I run mine at 85 deg C for this very reason.

I cant comment on the solax stuff, I have no experience, maybe one of the others will.

@johnb2713

Saving sessions? Checked Octopus FAQs cannot find any info:( lost I am afraid.

1. Sorry to keep asking questions, but I am not sure if I have set the Solax App correctly, screenshots attached?

2. I have also set up the immersion timer to come on during off-peak, set to 02.15 to 04.15, mind we only just about managed two showers and a small bath this morning, ideas?

Hopefully this will be my last for a while:)

During my younger years, I am sure I would have worked this all out for myself, Thoughts very much appreciated.
EDIT: Attached settings are correct/work for me for charging from grid overnight. :)

Note not all Solax Inverters have a setting in 'Work mode' to 'Force Time Use' apparently that setting is not the same for all inverter. 'Self Use' is recommended by Solax Support for MODEL: X1-Hybrid-G4-5.0. May help others.

Question
We have a large unvented cylinder with an immersion heater at the bottom, I read somewhere that the immersion will not heat all the tank, regardless of time on, as the thermostat (set to max of 70c) is at the bottom?

Is this correct, as appears that we are getting a limited amount of hot water, during the day, regardless as to the time immersion is on. If so am I better setting the gas to heat the tank for say, an hour after the immersion so that the tanks heats fully?

EDIT: Attached settings are correct/work for me for charging from grid overnight. :)

Note not all Solax Inverters have a setting in 'Work mode' to 'Force Time Use' apparently that setting is not the same for all inverter. 'Self Use' is recommended by Solax Support for MODEL: X1-Hybrid-G4-5.0. May help others.

Question
We have a large unvented cylinder with an immersion heater at the bottom, I read somewhere that the immersion will not heat all the tank, regardless of time on, as the thermostat (set to max of 70c) is at the bottom?

Is this correct, as appears that we are getting a limited amount of hot water, during the day, regardless as to the time immersion is on. If so am I better setting the gas to heat the tank for say, an hour after the immersion so that the tanks heats fully?
If the immersion heater is at the bottom of the tank thats perfect, it's the ones that are top mounted that dont heat to the bottom. Can you see the immersion taking load i.e. typically 3 kW when its switched on?

If the immersion heater is at the bottom of the tank thats perfect, it's the ones that are top mounted that dont heat to the bottom. Can you see the immersion taking load i.e. typically 3 kW when its switched on?
Yes it's drawing 3kWs.

Considering your setup, shifting to Octopus Intelligent Go seems like a smart move. Cheap night energy could be a game-changer for heating, especially with LPG costs. No harm in exploring it even without an EV. As for charging the batteries at night, it depends on your Solex model.

Considering your setup, shifting to Octopus Intelligent Go seems like a smart move. Cheap night energy could be a game-changer for heating, especially with LPG costs. No harm in exploring it even without an EV. As for charging the batteries at night, it depends on your Solex model.
We have been on Go now for just over a week. Mind getting frustrated with the Solax X1-Hybrid-G4-5.0 as well as the eddi.

Not every night do the batteries charge during off-peak, adjusted the setting without success. Now spotted elsewhere that Charge/Discahrge1 and 2 have to set the same, so will now try this tonight.

The eddi also does not retain the schedules each night to charge the immersion heater, even though I have set them for every day.

Pulling hair out time. Help required please.