Octopus EVs Batteries Tariffs and LPG

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris020

Reaction score
Now in month 3 of solar, 13 X 425, and batteries 10.6 Solax on octopus variable.

We all work from home, washing etc. all gets done when the batteries have had a chance to charge in the mornings.

As we are on LPG,75p/litre to run a conventional boiler, for water and heating am I right in thinking heating the water at night on Octopus Go during the night would be cheaper. The tank is unvented and has excellent insulation that seems to last us all day when heated between 7 and 9am.

Night rate (00:30 - 04:30):

9.5p / kWh​

Day rate (04:30 - 00:30):

39.5p / kWh​

Standing charge:

52.32p / day​

We do have an eddi which is sat there "waiting for Excess" which has never triggered yet, maybe there is a fault or has not been set up correctly.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Now in month 3 of solar, 13 X 425, and batteries 10.6 Solax on octopus variable.

We all work from home, washing etc. all gets done when the batteries have had a chance to charge in the mornings.

As we are on LPG,75p/litre to run a conventional boiler, for water and heating am I right in thinking heating the water at night on Octopus Go during the night would be cheaper.
100% yes, Octopus GO would be much cheaper than LPG.

The tank is unvented and has excellent insulation that seems to last us all day when heated between 7 and 9am.
Crank up the thermostat when youre heating by electricity, that effectively increases the size of your tank.

Night rate (00:30 - 04:30):

9.5p / kWh​

Day rate (04:30 - 00:30):

39.5p / kWh​

Standing charge:

52.32p / day​

If you have an EV consider moving to intelligent, thats 7.5p for 6 hours off peak.

We do have an eddi which is sat there "waiting for Excess" which has never triggered yet, maybe there is a fault or has not been set up correctly.
Does it npot show any exporting at all? Double check the display when you know export is taking place. Is the CT connected correctly to EDDI?

100% yes, Octopus GO would be much cheaper than LPG.

Crank up the thermostat when youre heating by electricity, that effectively increases the size of your tank.

If you have an EV consider moving to intelligent, thats 7.5p for 6 hours off peak.

Does it npot show any exporting at all? Double check the display when you know export is taking place. Is the CT connected correctly to EDDI?
Many thanks John

We don't have an EV at this time, so Go is the way to go.
I'll check the eddi display again, but the apps states it has never triggered. I will also check the CT is connected correctly, mind I probably will not, no if they are the correct way round or not. Report back later.

Many thanks John

We don't have an EV at this time, so Go is the way to go.
I'll check the eddi display again, but the apps states it has never triggered. I will also check the CT is connected correctly, mind I probably will not, no if they are the correct way round or not. Report back later.
In the APP can yo see export taking place?

It should look a bit like this

IMG_8504.PNG

You can see from this example, my roof is producing 5.1 kW, EDDI is feeding 1.1 kW into the Immersion, 0.2 kW is being exported to grid (arrow is green and pointing to the grid), 1.1kW is being fed to the house and 2.7 kW to the car. You need to see the export to the grid, if that's not appearing then EDDI wont be able to do anything. If yo do see export you know the CT's are connected and the correct way round.

If you click or press on the pylon it should show you the grid import and export, here's mine from today.

IMG_9612.PNG

If yours doesnt show any activity like this it will tell us a lot about your system setup.

Seeing nothing, on the Grid page says not in use, nothing imported or exported.
It sounds like a CT hasnt been configured or not installed for EDDI to sense the import / export.
eddi config.PNG

Without a CT connected directly or via Harvi, EDDI cant sense the export and therefore wont work as a divertor, it can only work as a very expensive time switch.

It sounds like a CT hasnt been configured or not installed for EDDI to sense the import / export.
View attachment 15382

Without a CT connected directly or via Harvi, EDDI cant sense the export and therefore wont work as a divertor, it can only work as a very expensive time switch.
Many thanks John, I will take a look, I have also contacted the installer.