Aico Ei225En Co Alarm (Not Interlinked)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm fitting a lot of CO, smoke and heat alarms as part of the new rules for rental properties.

Trying to use mostly Aico stuff, and because of the high prices of CO alarms in particular, I've been buying a few from ebay (yes I know)

Mostly it's the Aico Ei261 that I have been fitting, good bit of kit.

But today arrived an Ei225EN.  I bought that one just because it was avaiilable without really looking up the details.  Why would I need to look it up, it's made by Aico, it's a CO detector and it's mains powered, so it ticks all the boxes?

WRONG

Yes it's mains powered but it does NOT interlink to other detectors. It only has TWO terminals.

and the rules I am working to specifically state mains powered INTERLINED alarms.

So for this application it's about as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

Just posting here as a heads up to anyone doing the same.  But WTF are Aico doing making a mains powered detector that does not have the facility to interlink to others? this is the first time I have encountered this with ANY make which is why I didn't bother to check the specification. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As I understand it, its pointless linking it anyway, perhaps that's why?

I am under the impression that if you have say 4 interlinked smoke alarms and 2 CO alarms and say one smoke alarm detects smoke, all smoke alarms will sound.

but the CO ones will stay silent. Like wise if 1 CO alarm activates, ONLY the one that detects CO will activate, NOT both, and definitely not the smoke alarms.

The reason is, that if its high CO, you must investigate the cause, so only the one that detects CO sounds. Also CO alarms make a different "noise"

So in short, you have NOT wasted your time.

Canoeboy said:
Its a standalone - you should have bought the Ei261ENRC  :innocent
that's the one I have been fitting lately.

I was just surprised to find the 225 is a stand alone unit.  NOWHERE on the packaging does it state that, you only find that out by looking at the instructions or actually looking at the terminals.  And it has the bloody cheek to be called the "Ei Professional" range.

As I say, this is the first time I have found a mains powered alarm of ANY make that is not interlinkable, which was the point of this thread to say don't buy this one if you are expecting interlinked.

I am under the impression that if you have say 4 interlinked smoke alarms and 2 CO alarms and say one smoke alarm detects smoke, all smoke alarms will sound.

but the CO ones will stay silent. Like wise if 1 CO alarm activates, ONLY the one that detects CO will activate, NOT both, and definitely not the smoke alarms.

The reason is, that if its high CO, you must investigate the cause, so only the one that detects CO sounds. Also CO alarms make a different "noise"

If that's the case then the rules I am working to are an ASS as they dictate all smoke heat and CO alarms are interlinked.

Certainly the test button on each alarm sounds all of them, CO included. How they react to a real alarm I don't know.

There's one I am doing next week where the boiler is in the loft, so the CO alarm is going up there, linked to the rest of the alarms in the bungalow. I bloody well hope it sounds the other alarms. 

The Ei262 will sound interlinked smokes on detection of CO
http://www.aico.co.uk/images/stories/PDF_Documents/Current_Datasheets/Ei262_Datasheet.pdf

All my AICO alarms sound if any one detects, 2x smoke, 1x heat, 1x CO,  haven't actually done a CO test though, but have tested the smokes and heat and they set the CO alarm off. 

They all sound the last time I checked. Also you can isolate the non-detecting detectors to locate the source.

Just thinking, CO tends to be a localsed problem, like the boiler, there is no need to cause panic through out the building unlke a fire which will spread rapidly. Maybe that's why the COs are stand alone???

I don't have any CO, sorry,

But, on the test button it sets all off
Thanks. A further question then. A CO alarm does make a different noise than a smoke alarm.

When you pressed the test button, what noise did the smoke alarms make? (as in their normal noise, or the same noise that the CO alarm makes)

Just thinking, CO tends to be a localsed problem, like the boiler, there is no need to cause panic through out the building unlke a fire which will spread rapidly. Maybe that's why the COs are stand alone???
So why do the new landlord rules say ALL the alarms must be interlinked?  Obviously the committee that wrote them haven't got a clue.

So why do the new landlord rules say ALL the alarms must be interlinked? Obviously the committee that wrote them haven't got a clue.
Have you got anything to back that up?

Could be useful in an arguement I am having.

Have you got anything to back that up?

Could be useful in an arguement I am having.
I think you may have hit on something there.

Here's a summary of the new rules. https://www.prhpscotland.gov.uk/repairs-application-and-guidance

From that you can download a PDF of the requirements for smoke and heat alarms https://www.prhpscotland.gov.uk/sites/default/files/prhp/Smoke%20Alarms%20in%20Private%20Lets%20Sep%2014%20update.pdf

So that clearly states all smoke and heat alarms must be interlinked.

The installation of CO alarms is dealt with separately and you may be right as I can't find any reference to the need for CO alarms to be interlinked with the smoke alarms.

So it may well be okay tyo use this one after all.

The trouble is, the "guidance" appears to be published in a whole host of places, and they don't all say quite the same thing and it's unclear which one is right.

Note that the ENGLISH requirements for rental properties are quite okay with battery powered CO alarms.

I think you may have hit on something there.

Here's a summary of the new rules. https://www.prhpscotland.gov.uk/repairs-application-and-guidance

From that you can download a PDF of the requirements for smoke and heat alarms https://www.prhpscotland.gov.uk/sites/default/files/prhp/Smoke%20Alarms%20in%20Private%20Lets%20Sep%2014%20update.pdf

So that clearly states all smoke and heat alarms must be interlinked.

The installation of CO alarms is dealt with separately and you may be right as I can't find any reference to the need for CO alarms to be interlinked with the smoke alarms.

So it may well be okay tyo use this one after all.

The trouble is, the "guidance" appears to be published in a whole host of places, and they don't all say quite the same thing and it's unclear which one is right.

Note that the ENGLISH requirements for rental properties are quite okay with battery powered CO alarms.
Thanks. Really need something for England.

Thanks. That is what LL are talking about between themselves but in my opinion they are wrong. I need to find the specific regulation where it details what kind of alarm is required in properties. It clearly states that battery operated alarms are only excepted on owner/occupied properties. I am on a course at the mo so will try and hunt it down later. The English legislation also states that the LL should make an educated assessment on what is required. In my eyes this should take into account regulations already in place. Cost shoukd not ne the deciding factor when deciding levels of protection.

http://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/carbon-monoxide-requirements.shtml

Looks like England will accept a load of battery powered alarms, no need for mains power and no need to be interlinked.
mains powered has been a requirement for years, in case tennant decides to pinch the battery from the smoke detectors, thereby rendering them useless. Can't think when this came into force, but basically it was written to target the landlord, which seems unfair if tennant is stupid enough to pinch the battery. Unless mains powered I think the landlord fails in 'duty of care' ie it is a set of circumstances that is easily forseeable and therefore should be protected against, bit like putting fencing around a building site. You would think a building site is very obviously a dangerous place, but unless you make some effort to keep people out then you are open to litigation should someone walk in, and hurt themselves.

Just out of interest what are people's opinions of the Fire Angel smokes that last for 10 years with no battery to change ?