Alarm Wiring Help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMayhew87

Reaction score
Hello

We have an alarm sensor that needs changing but our alarm is quite old.

We took a look inside one of the current sensors and the wiring is slightly different.

Our old alarm is wired as follows:

ALARM

Red & Black

12v

White

OV

Green

Tamper

Blue and Yellow.

Our new sensor has the follow bits.

Relay N.C (2 wires)

Tamper N.C (2 wires)

GND (1 wire)

+Vin (1 wire)

I tried to attach a picture but because I'm new it won't let me!

Does anyone have any idea how we'd wire this new sensor into our old alarm system?

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Seems an odd choice (Red & Black is usually the supply)

Relay

N = Red

C = Black

Tamper

N = Blue

C = Yellow

Power

+Vin = White

Gnd = Green

TIP: Connect them in the order listed above. Never let any wire touch another wire.

Some (not all) detectors have a "metallic coat" this is connected to the -ve, so if you connect the -ve last if any of the other wires should touch the body of the detector nothing will happen.

Thanks.

Alarm.jpg

thanks for the replies.. The alarm was installed years ago by a family friend so maybe he wired it up a bit strange.. lol

Maybe the picture will give a bit more of an insight, Basically the top plastic bit is out of the old sensor and the bottom is the new sensor and as I said the order of the wires are listed above :)

Mixing the colours up makes it harder to bypass....common on large commercial systems

Just saying
You watch too much TV / films

Maybe the picture will give a bit more of an insight, Basically the top plastic bit is out of the old sensor and the bottom is the new sensor and as I said the order of the wires are listed above :)
Your description was fine, so its still wired up as I said

Not so. Kerchings comment was correct. I last subcontracted to a Nacoss company a few years back but then you even had to change colours on the same job over a certain number of zones (forgotten the number) .We were told to change colour codes on every job.
You were told that because you were a sub contractor. Some companies will do that, and also tell the sub contractor the a different engineers code than their engineers use. I know of one small company that used to have a different engineers code for every job, they had to give every engineer a list of every job with every engineer code, worked ok (so they thought) until it was found the lists were often lost.

The whole idea of a colour code is you stick to it, (yes it does vary from one company to another, but in general red is +Ve  black is -Ve)

The whole idea is that an engineer can go from A to B and not have to worry what the colour code is. Also when alterations / additions take place you don't have to worry about the colour code since it is always the same.

Its like saying on one job blue is live and the next its neutral. There is no point.

The point is no one else will  know. Any  legitimate  engineer  would simply look at any termination to check the  colours. Its not dangerous like 415V.  Changing colour codes was (& maybe still is) a NACOSS rule & not the installers

I still always look at  the main board terminations before i touch an existing alarm, any good engineer would, so it doesn't matter what colours are used

Looking in the control panel is of little use for colour codes since a lot of systems have remote devices (Name depends on panel maker) to which the devices are wired to.

It would be nice to see the rule that you mention, do you have a link to it please?

Sorry i dont,  as  i mentioned its many years since i have done any NACOSS work.
Well thanks for trying.

But I still suggest you were told that because you were subcontracting. I used to work (not sub contract) for a company where they would tell subcontractors almost anything just to get the job done. The subcontractors were only brought in for the jobs we didn't really want. I often felt sorry for them. The "surveyors" were almost as bad telling customers almost anything just to get the job.

I am happy I left that company.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use random numbering when I install anything like alarms, ASHP etc, stops the numpties messing

on ASHP I even use different numbers on each end of the cables, I have a system for exchanging the numbers and still keeping the same sequence,

explained this to one of the suppliers and they thought it was a good idea to stop unauthorised people trying to service stuff they didnt understand.