Am I qualified??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and when youve done that they will bring out an AM3 to get more money out of you

2360 pt 1 & 2

17th edition upgrade

AM2

5 years ''qualified'' & a bag full of references.

Asked for an approved electrician card from JIB to be told they consider me a labourer! The JIB book itself ( see website, guide to definitions ) clearly states that I can have an Approved card all be it with ''provisional'' written all over it but when it comes down to it they just wriggle out of it by saying I needed to have done 2360 before 1995. ( NOT stated anywhere on the site )

The NVQ course for me is the online one: NO site visits : SELF verification, only a contact number of someone on site.

As said before , this industry now has an unduly large contingent of extra-curricula bodies in orbit around it, all kept in orbit by a financially battered workforce .

A Plasterer ....none of the above , tools of his trade and thats it.

A Bricklayer ... none of the above , tools of his trade and thats it.

A Painter ......None of the above , Tools of his trade and thats it.

A Plumber...... None of the above tools of his trade and thats it .

A Gas fitter ... subject to stringent checks and constant updates on Regs . His scope of work now requires seperate qualifications.

I've talked to some sparks ( OK younger and newer to the trade) who seem almost frightened to open their toolbox in case they breach one of the 1000s of rules and regulations imposed upon us .

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I look at it, it's far more important to be COMPETENT than QUALIFIED

Of course better to be both.

But that's old fashioned thinking I know.