AM2-Insulation Resistance on Motor Circuit.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean182

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Finished off my AM2 today. However i have been thinking a few things over. When it came to IR test for the complete dist board, i isolated the motor starter along with the other things that required removing. I'm now thinking i was wrong to do this, and i should have left it turned on, to test to the contactor, as the next IR test was from the starter to the motor, without the motor included. Can anyone shed any light and put me out my misery! :)

Great. I did upto the Iso. So missed the 6 inches of cable from iso to contactor. Do you know if that will be a fail? I know it will certainly drop me marks. Yeah i disconnected the connections at the motor end and IR it there, didn't test the motor windings tho because it made it clear to not include the motor itself in the test.

Dean182

Dont worry about it fella, they dont want you to IR the contactor & control wiring, just the feed to the isolator and the supply to the motor.

I passed mine on fri, bit nervous waitin for results as i C***** my motor up by crossing the control wiring to the remote with the supply to the motor = dead short between phases on power up. Blushing

good luck

Ahh, cheers! I was certain they didnt! Just got me thinking what if they did! Just awaiting the results now :D

Doing my AM2 soon just wondering do you have to remove the neons on the control circuit.

Stu

Dont think you have to as your not megging the control circuit, i didnt remove them.

Got my results today. Passed! Finally my apprenticeship is complete! Seemed like its been going on forever!

Got my results today. Passed! Finally my apprenticeship is complete! Seemed like its been going on forever!
Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

A good feeling eh? Well done!Applaud Smiley

Now you really start to learn it properly:(