AM2 skills test :O

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimblejay

Reaction score
hello if anyone can help me im 20 about to come out my time I've recently come gone for the AM2 skills test and failed i have rebooked for october 6th if any one can help me i failed section b and c1 if anyone has a site i can visit as one of the sections is testing inspection and i did terrible last time to be honest thanks

Sorry to hear. There are many people on here who can help - you've come to the right place.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Nice bunch here

beer? Guiness Drink

Does any1 know of any AM2 centres in the North, I live in Darlington so Stockton, Leeds , Newcastle etc

i did my test in billingham im from boro the closest one other than billingham is leeds its called N.E.T.A really good centre 2

hi trimble jay

Does it say on wht u failed on?

By any chance did you do a 2 day course on guidance towards the AM2 as my college provided us the 2 day course Which helped a great deal.

I'll comment on this when you can give me an answer on what u failed on if u know. :)

Firstly, sorry to hear that mate. You will do it the next time. :)

Secondly, Welcome to the best electrical forum in the UK. :) :)

they hav no free spaces for the revision class till after xmas...... im currently outa work because of the AM2 technically i aint a spark til i do it. does ne1 no of a testing site..... and i failed section b and section c1 .....b is a piece of **** its safe isolation and i failed on somethin so stupid so im not worried about tht section....thanks 4 ur help

Well with section b 1st u have to test the whole board so make sure u take the live out of the rcd socket and also make sure u have the neon switched off.

Then u have to test on what ever u get given to test on the sheet.

Use the r2 method as this is easy in the booth as u can touch all points of the isolation, we were told that there was no need to take face plates off just test to the screw face pin as this is to earth. Also i had the motor to test on an insulation resistance test make sure u take the terminals off the lugs as u will be testing doing this would go across the windings.

Also insulation on the socket circuits and continuity record the highest reading this will be the spur on the circuit.

Any more questions im happy to answer on wht ever u found difficult.

i dont meen 2 sound stupid but the thing is iv never tested before.... tthe invidulator told me 2 read my on site guide but i even struggled to read tht but wat u said makes a little bit of sense to me lol do you no of a site i can go 2 with detailed drawings

A good site for electrics in general is the TLC site

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm

and a book I can recommend is

Testing Electrical Installations A practical guide for electricians: A Practical Guide for Electricians [illustrated] (Paperback)

by Anthony Hinsley (Author, Illustrator), Paul Hurt & Anthony Hinsley (Editor

Is there is anything you dont understand about testing this book will help however so will this site Guiness Drink

Testing Electrical Installations A practical guide for electricians: A Practical Guide for Electricians [illustrated] (Paperback)

by Anthony Hinsley (Author, Illustrator), Paul Hurt & Anthony Hinsley (Editor

Purchased from Amazon

Can someone clear something up a little bit for me, is the AM2 the alternative method to doing NVQ's? or is the AM2 part of the NVQ process?

hi there was reading your post about the am2 testing and was wondering why you need to take the brown out of the rcd socket and how do you do an earth loop on this socket whithout triping the rcd. also could you tell me how you get the 3 phases to the motor as the diagram doesnt show this. also do you know what the landlord overide switch is to do exactly and what way you have to connect it

not sure about taking brown out of socket? to do loop without tripping RCD, use test kit on non-trip setting plugged into socket.

the TPNE is taken as 5 conductors to motor. exactly the same way you would if it was single, just you got 2 extra

the landlord switch is to over-ride the other switches so the light it always on, no matter what positions the other switches are in. easiest way is to have the landlord switch to short the 2 strappers at the switch in same box