Amd3 Cable Supports

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since Amd3 wants fire resistant supports etc, and after a quick google, there isnt a great deal of option for trunking, so ive been making and testing my own

for trunking, all round band fits nicely. probably cheaper than the manufactured clips, not that many were available. once done, no visible sign of them from the outside

for plastic conduit, i used galv saddles.

so for the testing. each has 3x 1.5 T&E in them

into the fire...

and the results are in. works perfectly,

now just to find some metallic cable clips

Clipped direct t&e is the problem one.

What we need is someone to start re making the old clips, you know the flat bits of metal that you nailed to the wall, then wrapped it around the cable.

anyone know if they are still, or will become available again?

What's needed is an easy to install fireproof cable clip.

Yes metal P clips will do, but more expensive, harder to install and lets be honest they look shite. fine for securing some cables out of site above a ceiling, but pants for clipped direct t&e

It should not be down ti individual sparkies to devise some clever and cunning way to support cables in a fireproof manner. Such solutions should be main stream products readily available from all wholesalers, and dare I say it the likes of B&Q as well.

If the humble metal buckle clip is the answer then they ought to make a come back PDQ. They should be as cheap as chips and easy to install, arguably even easier than the humble plastic cable clip?

Apart from discussions like this, I don't see much from the wholesalers telling us how we are to meet the new rules.

No-one uses the correct fixings on fire alarm cabling so why all the bother about complying with Amd3 for arguably a lesser issue?

No-one uses the correct fixings on fire alarm cabling so why all the bother about complying with Amd3 for arguably a lesser issue?
Well, if  they are not using the correct fixings on fire alarm cabling then they are committing a criminal offence.

So, if, they think that they can getaway with breaking Statute Laws, good luck to them they will need it, and no amount of insurance will help.

Because some of us like to do it right?
I once got thrown of a job because I was using too many P clips and taking too long installing the fire alarm. I have not in all of my 20 odd years in the trade seen a fire alarm installed by anyone else that I would say was corectly installed.

Providing the products become available to do it properly, then it's not difficult.
Exactly, which is why I can't see this being adhered to as the correct parts have been available for fire alarms for 20 odd years now and still no-one use them. I saw someone use some steel cable ties once, to tie a pipe tube to the roof rack.

Latest posts