Amd3 Cable Supports

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
least you shouldn't have to faff about trying to jam p clips in trunking if you got a sprinkler.... oh wait probably still wouldnt be compliant.

p clips in trunking that's probably just a social housing thing bit like tv/telephone cables round door frames.

I'm not going mad :innocent

A few years ago a local social club was visited by Trumpton. They condemned the electrics ( because they know these things)

On exiting , Grubb...the last Trumpton to leave gave a business card to the Secretary and said he was a spark on his off days and would come back and fix it for them

Secretary advocated his speedy exit from the premises in short jerky procreative movements

Just saying

About a year and a half ago we refurbished a house and added a loft conversion. Hertfordshire council made the owners  fit a sprinkler system on the staircase in addition to smoke alarms. I never saw the finished job, A pressure vessel was to be fitted in the old outside lav and i had to run a 13A FCU to  it. A 32mm ish barrel was run from here up the stairwell . Not done any other domestic jobs  for any other LABC where this was insisted.
That's normally only needed if there is no protected route for the stairway all the way down, i.e. if they want the middle floor to be a big open plan area with the stairs straight up and down from that open area.

Not sure about Wales though, there is something IIRC about sprinklers on new builds in Wales.

Shame I don't "do" Domestic unless I "have" to, which, thankfully I don't, really, often! ;)

Another twist to this "cable support" lark.

I was doing some work in an office unit yesterday.

Normal thing for an office, suspended ceiling with tiles.

Now the lights are wired in galv trunking suspended from the real concrete ceilings with Click plug in units.

BUT from the click plug in units to the actual lights are just flex draped across the ceiling tiles.

I take it under AMD 3 that's a no no, so those would now have to be supported e.g on cable tray?

I also take it if someone asks me to do something simple like "move that light fitting over a tile" then in doing so I would have to make it comply?

I have to price the installation of a data point and a telephone extension,,,, cable route is a good 20m down a corridor..

Do comms cables come under this Reg or do they not come under the BS7671 umbrella?? ;)

Another twist to this "cable support" lark.

I was doing some work in an office unit yesterday.

Normal thing for an office, suspended ceiling with tiles.

Now the lights are wired in galv trunking suspended from the real concrete ceilings with Click plug in units.

BUT from the click plug in units to the actual lights are just flex draped across the ceiling tiles.

I take it under AMD 3 that's a no no, so those would now have to be supported e.g on cable tray?

I also take it if someone asks me to do something simple like "move that light fitting over a tile" then in doing so I would have to make it comply?
I was at an amd 3 megger roadshow this evening with a talk by NAPIT tech bod and this point came up. He said draping cables across suspended ceilings is already a no no under current regs, if a fire was to occur the ceiling tiles and their support would soon fail . Amd 3 adds that if the ceiling is above an escape route (which most areas are) then the metallic fixings would need to be put in. He mentioned that even with metallic conduits with push-fit faceplates, the faceplate could pop off under heating (buckling) and cables could fall out, so would need eg metallic strapping put on at intervals around the conduit.

Latest posts