An Issue With Mk 100A Main Swiches.........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for that Andy ive just bought a load of MK sentry dual RCD boards from Wickes on clearance for £35 ea ! Ive also fitted two of the six way splits this year so ill have to send Mrs to check them

Doesn't affect me as I never fit MK

BUT

Are we all supposed to record the EXACT model and date code of every switch and MCB that we ever fit, just in case in the future another recall like this happens?

Or will someone pay us to go and examine any CU that MAY be affected just to find out if it's okay or not?

: headbang

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to fit Wylex units but i stopped after the recall issue Only fitting these MK Sentrys as there a good price but not like the old Sentry where the MCBs where rebadged Merlin Gerin

Recent date recall though October 2012 to January 2013, so this was the dispatch date from MK to distributor.

So Pre October should not be a problem, but check from then on.

Thought it was strange on Saturday..........doing a cu swap for the in-laws (assessment due soon ;) ), got there had a quick look & count up of circuits, thought great I shall use my remaining stock of rcbo's from SBS, just need an enclosure so off to screwfix/electrifix....."sorry mate we have no MK circuit protection in stock at the moment"...bloody hell now I've got to go across Reading to the other branch...."dont bother mate they have none either"

So I left there & went to B&Q, only to find wall to wall BG cu's/rcbo's & mcb's. asked one of the blokes there "do you have any MK or Wylex ........ "only the 5 units on the bottom shelf under the discount end of line stuff, after the wylex recall we stopped stocking the brand"

stopped using MK coss the main switches are terrible - the casing opens up if you do the screws up good an tight. Cheap and nasty and very disappointing for MK

Personally I don't like the idea of someone turning up at a customers saying I could have fitted something defective even 'if' which I doubt they do work for the manuf, not a good impression.

Wholesaler checked what I had mk wise yesterday and I'm all good.

I'm sure I remember not too long ago, MK promoting themselves as a 'British' brand. The new boards and components seem to be all made in China with the emphasis on cost cutting over quality. For a crucial piece of kit that needs to be trusted well beyond any warranty period this is just another disappointment from MK.

Their "LONON" factory in China..........doesn't say what they do there:

http://electrical.honeywell.com/en-GB/Locations/Pages/default.aspx

As I have posted before I have it in writing from ECD that their breakers and RCBO's etc are made in the same Far East factory as MK. Just thinking I have one unpopulated MK board with a main switch still in the box that I must check..................

I purchased 10 from WF on 10/10/12 so they possibly are the faulty ones. I have just filled the form in not put names and addresses in yet as I will need to check if I have missed any I have at least 12 fitted after that date.

Latest posts