another question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWDS

Reaction score
sorry all,

Three pvc insulated cables are connected in parallel, and their resistances are 0.012, 0.015 and 0.008,respectivley,with a total current of 500A flowing on a 240V supply,

A, calculate the current in each cable ( V/R = I )

B, calculate the combined voltage drop over the three cables in parallel,

C, calculate the individual voltage drop over each cable in the paralleled circuit.

I have worked out resistance,

1/0.012 = 83.33 so V/R = I ( 240/0.012 = 20,000 )

1/0.015 = 66.66 so V/R = I (240/0.015 = 16,000 )

1/0.008 = 125 so V/R = I ( 240/0.008 = 30,000 )

am i using the correct formula ( NO ) ???????.

regards NWDS headbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbang

i got lost at " 3 pvc insulated cables "
mention PVC to john and he goes a bit giddy] :)

I can always remember the formula much easier as Current = Power / Voltage

thanks Andy, I will copy that so I can go back to it.

NWDS

Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

the answers in me book are

A, 152A,121A and 227A ( all add up to the total current given )

B, 1.82 v

C,1.82 v

NWDS

the answers in me book areA, 152A,121A and 227A ( all add up to the total current given )

B, 1.82 v

C,1.82 v

NWDS
then the book is wrong. VD over all has got to be 240V - there is no other resistances, and the supply voltage is 240V.

C, should there be 3 values? anyway that answer still looks wrong

thanks andy

NWDS

Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Andy can you explain why you added up the 3 resistences ( I thought they were in parallel ), I understand the rest but not that BlushingBlushingBlushingBlushingBlushingBlushing.

NWDS

Andy can you explain why you added up the 3 resistences ( I thought they were in parallel ), I understand the rest but not that BlushingBlushingBlushingBlushingBlushingBlushing.NWDS
forget what i first said... got the right answers, but in the wrong order... ill work it out again tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it