Any Ideas Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all your replies, I am still learning and will go along the lines of a seperate radial to feed the bathroom heater.

Cheers

Chas

Lol pmsl can I have some of what you've got please Sandra it must be good sh1t lol
Last time I saw what you refer to , M4tty , was in the sixties , it certainly smelled like s h1te . My neighbour still indulges but its made him scitzo .

I just get carried away sometimes M4tt, as Specs does also, but he, of course is a total Loony Tune . ;) With occasional bursts of coehrent advice when hes had his medication.

He thinks Brian is real you know , thinks he visits him , the fool, all he sees is the Virtual Brian , the one that goes out under license . He probably thinks the Mario twins are really plumbers!!!

No ,the real Brian lives here with me , hes asleep in his matchbox on my desk . They all think we're mad , don't they , Brian ?

I bet they're watching me now , well they can watch, look ,see, I wouldn't hurt a fly , they can't pin anything on me. :innocent

:C

you can get a drill bit to cut tiles, normally sold for dremal but will fit in any drill.

cost around 5-10 pounds and very usefull.

if its a stud wall you may be able to fish up to a high level point for the heater.

Must be able to get some juice from upstairs, even a remote wireless controller, remote in the bathroom then feeding ceiling mounted fan!!!

Disc into tiles to fit a box & cable outlet!!

all sorts of ways but not the light circuit.

I see no one wants to use the lighting circuit , interesting. Lets say a 1.5 circuit ,upstairs lights , 500w , add a 1KW fan heater , I don't have a problem with that .
That is why I asked the original question as I thought it would be OK so always like to test the waters and see what other people come up with

Chas

I see no one wants to use the lighting circuit , interesting. Lets say a 1.5 circuit ,upstairs lights , 500w , add a 1KW fan heater , I don't have a problem with that .
Technically, I don;t have a problem with it and wouldn't comment it on a report, but I wouldn't install it like that. Just a personal preference\best practice thing more than anything.

PowerBall, you will find its a personal thing with a lot of sparks, lot of guys say its not a light so they prefer not to do it. To me its just an "Additional Load" , and I go for the easiest way as long as its safe ,of course.

I imagined a 3 bed semi as is common where I am , 5 lights upstairs @ 100W each , wired in 1.5 mm I'd be spuring off that circuit to an RCD spur unit and as you said, I think, set the heater at 1KW .

Likewise, some guys don't like to spur a light from a power circuit , again , to me its just another load and I have no problem with it .

Not withstanding the fact that many wall mounted bathroom heaters offer a 2kWatt setting! :eek:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Fan_Heaters_3/index.html?source=adwords&kw=bathroom%20fan%20heater&gclid=COffnOXXuaQCFYc_4wodJx4rzQ

And many houses now have fancy bedroom lights with multiple spot lamps (rail or recessed) in excess of 100w per room! :(

AND

as the original request was because the bathroom is very cold..

She would like to keep this but needs the bathroom to be heated has it is very cold due to all the tiles. (use heat before going in for a bath or shower)
I tend to think the customer will see a 2kW one in argos or something and say oh I will stick this one on cuz the 1kW is not hot enough!!

http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/0522320/reviews.htm

I think it best to give the customer two options...

1K off lights

or

2k new circuit

let customer decide what they want..

so they don't come back in another 4 months saying this heater STILL isn't hot enough!!! :|

:C

Its a good point Specs, I forgot to add that a 1KW fan heater often seem to struggle to overcome the air rush/draught of its own fan , perhaps in hindsight the 2KW road is the one to travel.

Its a good point Specs, I forgot to add that a 1KW fan heater often seem to struggle to overcome the air rush/draught of its own fan , perhaps in hindsight the 2KW road is the one to travel.
:Salute

BUT...........

we don't know how big the room is!?

If it is only a small room 1K may actually be enough? :|

Either way I personally would give customer both options..

Its that balance of what the customer wants -vs- what they want to pay! :C

So give em two prices

So they can't say.. you never told me blah.. blah.. blah..

:coffee

I am going to see the customer during this week and will offer her both options, Thanks for all you comments guys I am learning a lot from reading the post on this site and advise given to me and others.

Cheers

Guinness

I am going to see the customer during this week and will offer her both options, Thanks for all you comments guys I am learning a lot from reading the post on this site and advise given to me and others.Cheers

Guinness
I think the actual cost of the heater itself is not going to be much of a difference even if you can get a 1K only!..

say

Here goes lads, how lucky am I.... went to see this job and the good lady of the house.

Her heated towel rail is run from a flex spur outlet with a switch fused spur isolation outside the bathroom. This is on the downstairs ring back to a rcd coverd CU 32a mcb.

She has decided to let me take out the towel warmer and replace it with a Dimplex APL100 1kw heater/ towel rail combined. So I shall not be ripping at her newely tiled bathroom after all, but thanks for all your ideas and input.

I shall be contacting TLC tomorrow and see if they can get me one at a good price.

Chas