Any Ideas Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Power Ball

Reaction score
Went to a job about three months ago and the lady has called me back to ask if I can suggest and fit a heater in the downstairs bath room.

This has tiled floor and walls and a heated towel warmer supplied by a fused spur.

She would like to keep this but needs the bathroom to be heated has it is very cold due to all the tiles. (use heat before going in for a bath or shower)

She does not want me to replace this towel rail but add a heater without any more dissruption to the tiles ie another spur !!

Can you fire some ideas across and maybe something will fit the bill

Thanks

Chas bad day explode

How about a high level down flow fan heater with FCU outside the room?

Thanks Guys the more ideas I get the better
I'd say that would be pretty much your lot TBH. Nothing else really any use unless you were ripping up tiles. Anything low level would be more obtrusive I'd have thought, walls already sound amply filled, and using convection heaters would be too slow. Downflow heaters are basically designed for what you want to achieve, rapidly heat the bathroom before entering.

I'd say that would be pretty much your lot TBH. Nothing else really any use unless you were ripping up tiles. Anything low level would be more obtrusive I'd have thought, walls already sound amply filled, and using convection heaters would be too slow. Downflow heaters are basically designed for what you want to achieve, rapidly heat the bathroom before entering.
:Salute

+1,

+2,

+3,

&

+4

I think!?

:C

Do you think it would be OK if I used a 1kw wall fan heater and took it off the lighting circut through a RCD FCU with a 5a fuse. I say lighting as that would be less mess and interuption to deccor both inside and out of the bathroom.

Cheers

Chas

Do you think your lighting circuit can carry an additional 1KW load? What is the existing load on the circuit?

Doc H.

What size is the lighting circuit ? What is the present load ? Is it 1.5 or 1.0mm? What size is the MCB/Fuse ? Why are we all here ? Is there any point ? What is the meaning of life ? Why does our dog keep running off with my socks? Is my dinner ready ? ;)

What size is the lighting circuit ? What is the present load ? Is it 1.5 or 1.0mm? What size is the MCB/Fuse ? Why are we all here ? Is there any point ? What is the meaning of life ? Why does our dog keep running off with my socks? Is my dinner ready ? ;)
Lol pmsl can I have some of what you've got please Sandra it must be good sh1t lol

If you do your calculations mate and see whether the circuit could cope with another 4 amps on it. You could up the mcb to a 10a if you check your cable size and reference methods etc to see whether it can be done. Fill us in on the blank bits that evans electric has asked for and then someone can give you the answer your looking for mate.

Thanks for your constructive comments. I have not looked at the job yet I do know it is on 1.5mm cable as the job I originally went to do a few months ago was to replace a LV transformer in the ceiling of the bathroom supplying 3 recessed downlights. I was looking for a few ideas so when I go to look at the work, I have something to suggest to the lady who wants this work doing

I will work out the calcs and take it from there

Cheers

Chas

Do you think your lighting circuit can carry an additional 1KW load? What is the existing load on the circuit?Doc H.
I will work this out when I go to have a look at the job

Cheers

Chas

Thanks Evans I forgot you were born a fully qualified electrican with nine months experience in the womb

Thanks Evans I forgot you were born a fully qualified electrican with nine months experience in the womb
he is only messing mate

Personally, I wouldn't stick it on the lighting circuit regardless.
Concur with Lurch ;)

Even though it used to be common to have those combined Heater & light fittings

with a circular heating element around a light bulb fitted in the bathroom...

In them days the light circuit only had about 9 or 10 lamps.

Whereas modern lighting circuits tend to get loads new fancy lights added onto them... could have 12 in the bedroom alone!!!

I'd keep light circuits JUST for lights!

(only exception probably a TV booster amp)

You would need to consider your volt drop as well..

whereabouts physically on the circuit would this heater be...

near start, end, middle?

I'd recommend to run a new radial up into the loft above the bathroom to supply a heater...

The bottom line is Customer C***** original planing!

AFAIK is reasonable knowledge that towel rails don't actual do much to heat a room....

i.e.

they are intended to be covered in towels..

keeping all that heat in the towels to dry them! :)

Latest posts