Anyone seen this before?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a really old house ?      I've heard of  wattle & daub      and I think I've heard of this before  but never seen it . 

They must have been straw panels ....similar to the egg crate plaster board partitions . 

I have come accross this once before and posted on here about it.

I was glad to get away from it.

A whole estate in Chineham Hampshire built in the late 80's have internal walls of this make up. Its called Stramit board.

You'll end up with a bucket load of straw per backbox. there are channels pre inserted in the stuff at regular spacings & the top of the boards are usually accessible in the loft under the floors as the header boards are fixed to the face edges.

As for a fire risk........the straw I'm sure is fire treated.

Seen this too. My house has this type of construction for the party walls only. It was built in 1984. It is a half ownership house with a housing association, who seem OK with it. Any the few alterations and additions I have done have been sawn out with a plasterboard saw, quick but messy, and the cables surrounded with plaster. Cables rated as for being embedded in thermal insulation. Insulation tests for whole installation >200Mohms.

Seen this too. My house has this type of construction for the party walls only. It was built in 1984. It is a half ownership house with a housing association, who seem OK with it. Any the few alterations and additions I have done have been sawn out with a plasterboard saw, quick but messy, and the cables surrounded with plaster. Cables rated as for being embedded in thermal insulation. Insulation tests for whole installation >200Mohms.

Well I was going to say welcome to the forum, but according to your profile you first joined back in 2017. So I shall say Welcome to the world of posting! (Even though it is an old thread IMHO it is actually quite and interesting old thread to revive for a another lease of life).

Doc H.

Latest posts