Anyone starting up or needs to pull in some work ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I know we've had all this before but there are new members who may benefit from the discussion.

If you are mainly domestic and possibly just starting on your own this may be of use .      I think we mostly agreed on the following  do's & don'ts .   Some of this is my own opinion but others will no doubt contribute their views too.

It is assumed that you are a qualified sparks & know what you are doing .

DO .........become known as an electrician locally. 

DO......... get your van sign written ....important, keep it simple but make sure the message is ...look I'm an electrician...this is my number...I live & work in your area .

DO .........get cards printed .

DO........ advertise locally  ( this is where you work)   Church magazine , local councillor's flyer .

DO ......... use the local website  . The one called Streetlife is now  Nextdoor , they don't advertise but you can answer a call for a sparks , do a good job, and get recommended .

DO .......... realise that its who knows you that counts , builder , local small business/ shop etc. And a good job for one person leads to all their family knowing about you .

DON'T....... bother with any coloured pages , no one looks anymore .

DO........... create a website .

DO........... join a scam  Domestic Installer Scheme  ( You have no choice I'm afraid ) NICEIC / ELECSA / NAPPITT / STROMA .  You can then sign off your own work .

DON'T ...... bother paying into fair trade type schemes & a few others , no one knows what they are .

DO ........... remember also when working on a job with a plumber ,decorator , getting your van repaired etc . Give them your card . Plumber may not like doing electrics so......

Give someone else a chance now .

Ask for recommendations, from customers, and ask those you work with, to recommend you, if they feel you are worthy.

Obviously politely.

(Domestic is not my game, but, I believe that this works).

I disagree with above ... Never ASK for recommendations, that is a no no. If you delivery on your promises, the referrals will become the norm.... Over 80 % of my work comes this way....

Also, don't try being the cheapest..... Anyone can be a very busy POOR fool

Yes I know we've had all this before but there are new members who may benefit from the discussion.

If you are mainly domestic and possibly just starting on your own this may be of use .      I think we mostly agreed on the following  do's & don'ts .   Some of this is my own opinion but others will no doubt contribute their views too.

It is assumed that you are a qualified sparks & know what you are doing .

DO .........become known as an electrician locally. 

DO......... get your van sign written ....important, keep it simple but make sure the message is ...look I'm an electrician...this is my number...I live & work in your area .

DO .........get cards printed .

DO........ advertise locally  ( this is where you work)   Church magazine , local councillor's flyer .

DO ......... use the local website  . The one called Streetlife is now  Nextdoor , they don't advertise but you can answer a call for a sparks , do a good job, and get recommended .

DO .......... realise that its who knows you that counts , builder , local small business/ shop etc. And a good job for one person leads to all their family knowing about you .

DON'T....... bother with any coloured pages , no one looks anymore .

DO........... create a website .

DO........... join a scam  Domestic Installer Scheme  ( You have no choice I'm afraid ) NICEIC / ELECSA / NAPPITT / STROMA .  You can then sign off your own work .

DON'T ...... bother paying into fair trade type schemes & a few others , no one knows what they are .

DO ........... remember also when working on a job with a plumber ,decorator , getting your van repaired etc . Give them your card . Plumber may not like doing electrics so......

Give someone else a chance now .

If you are doing domestic work, NEVER miss an appointment..

If you genuinely can't make it for good reason, then text or phone to let the customer know.

Actually you should never miss an appointment for any type of work...

But you must ALWAYS remember the customer may have had to take time off work, or change their diary to accommodate your appointment,

if you mess them around you don't often get a second chance.

plus relative to the above point....

DONT over-book yourself,  (not all work is mega urgent, often it can wait a few more days.)

be prepared to say no to a visit this week but offer a guaranteed time slot maybe a week or 10 days later!

Golden rule "There is NO excuse for poor communication with customers nowadays, Mobile phones and internet have made communications a simple task"

Timekeeping, answering phone (or returning calls) will very often carry more weight than price to a lot of customers..

The more expensive guy who always turns up and is easy to get in touch with will 99% of the time get more follow-up and recommendation work than the cheap guy who is difficult to contact.

Guinness

I'd agree with what Specs says ....I know a chippie ,  good tradesman, worked with him for years , does an excellent job , friendly , customers like him ,  heres the but you knew was coming .....  I don't recommend him  anymore because he is so overbooked with work , he doesn't like to refuse but either doesn't show up or looks at the job but never gets there .  

Some blokes are useless at dealing with people other than other blokes in the trade , of their own ilk....darn the battle cruiser  I suppose .  I've seen them do a reasonable job but somehow manage to put the customer off them ....as simple as not saying thank you for the cuppa , taking for granted I suppose.

Just done an EICR for a lady who rents a house , because I went on a Saturday morn to get their supply back on ( Melted main switch) .  Came over to pay us as we finished, thanks us , pays us , plus a tenner each for a drink  plus two cream cakes from Greggs .   What am I saying ?  Its just nice to be appreciated. 

I'd agree with the above points, as we now live in the era of anonymous call-center staff, never get the same person twice if ringing about the same problem. I hate having to ring somewhere and go though the same explanation I've been though before when chasing up problem. (I had it a while back with our home broadband). Whereas the personal touch, understanding your client, and a real person at the end of the phone who remembers who you are since the last visit is a big bonus. Our local garage where we have our car serviced is not the cheapest, but they give very good customer service, they remember you when you phone or walk in. Now I like that, so I guess a lot of customers of electricians would also like that sort of one-to-one personal contact. Politeness and respect for your customers doesn't cost much.

Doc H. 

Latest posts