Apparently I'm getting old.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So then guys....apparently I'm getting old :(

I went to the opticians for my bi-annual check up and they've found out that I'm now long and short sighted.... I've been short sighted for the last 28 years (now -2.25)

So as I have a huge head and find it really difficult to find glasses that don't dig into the side of my head and give me grief I've decided that I might give contact lenses a go again..

So,,, does anyone were vari-focal contacts??

If so how do you find them??

Yep you're getting old Noz,  its a fairly normal progression ,  it starts with your arms ,  they are suddenly not long enough for you to read the paper and its all downhill from there. 

Tried someone's  varifocal and bi-focal and fell over .

However I'm sure you'd get used to them . 

Also struggle with stuff like the L...N & E  letters in black on black on accessories. 

I now have a Sherlock Holmes  type magnifying class in the van as the world has started to print smaller & smaller. 

AND  ...everyone has started mumbling quietly too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH I knew that it was coming as I've been doing a fair bit of looking at close stuff over the top of my glasses for the last 6 months or so.....

I'm actually ok reading without them, but it's a pain when you go out for a meal and can either choose to see your food or everything else 

And finding glasses to fit is a bit of a problem.... I've actually got 2 different styles of rimless glasses at the moment;; the lenses from 1 style and the arms and bridge from another.......and best of all they don't dig into my temples, so they're really comfortable

I've got a contact lense trial in a couple of weeks, I'll see how I go with them.... It's been 20 years since I last used them!!

I've done the falling asleep thing when I had them before,,, waking up to a "fog" is an experience

IIRC I never managed to get them mixed up, however Im sure that I've put them in inside out....

The drummer in my band spent all evening trying to remove his contacts once, couldn't get the left one out, by the time we got to the hotel his eye looked like a peeled blood orange.

Took him to an optician in the morning who informed him that the left lens was nowhere to be seen, poor bloke had been trying to remove his cornea all night

I’ve had the lens slip under my eye in to the eye socket. I was driving south on the M60 at the time. I pulled on to the hard shoulder and was trying to firkle it out when the police arrived. They stayed until I’d sorted it out.

If I left home without  reading glasses I may as well just give up and go back .... the first 2 mtrs of the world is blurred ,  nearly blew myself to kingdom come once ..poking a tester into a panel .   Cannot see screw slots ...lucky to see the screw sometimes without glasses.

Driving I see fine with distance glasses but the speedo & other instruments remain a blurred mystery , although I know where the needle points for 30MPH 

My shift fitter had varifocal lenses for the first time. His first attempt at going down a very steep flight of stairs was spectacular, 18St of fitter and a collection of tools bouncing down 15Ft.

Thankfully I was behind him, I could have been hurt otherwise.

My shift fitter had varifocal lenses for the first time. His first attempt at going down a very steep flight of stairs was spectacular, 18St of fitter and a collection of tools bouncing down 15Ft.

Thankfully I was behind him, I could have been hurt otherwise.
Spectacular :)

I did hear of an optician who fell into his lens grinder and made a spectacle of himself.

Trying to walk or climb a ladder whilst wearing reading glasses should only be attempted once!

i have needed glasses for driving for years...did not know I needed them until I went for my annual offshore diving medical.

eye chart test...read line 1 &2  &3 ..... gutted when I found out there were about 6 more!

now it's readers for panel,work!

el cheapo HomeBargains or B&M specials. +1.5 works fine at present. Not needed for normal reading yet though

"So as I have a huge head".

Obviously you're storing too much information in your brain, its made your skull expand. Try harder to forget a few unimportant things, let your brain empty a bit, then you're skull can shrink down as well. 

Doc H.

Seriously, I would definitely recommend getting your eyes tested. My other half kept on at me to get mine checked, as I was using reading glasses (2 pairs for £2 from asda at +1.5), so I relented and booked a free appointment at my local opticians.

Part of the eye test is a pressure test, which I failed. Turned out I needed laser surgery to open up the angle drainage channels in both eyes. If left untreated I could have suddenly gone blind in either or both eyes. I still go to hospital for regular annual eye checks and face the prospect of surgery, having both lenses replaced, at some point.

Best get them checked, you don't have to buy the optician's glasses ;)

-6 ish both eyes! So I can't see the missus with them off but can still HEAR her! Seemingly it can be cured overnight if you stop w...... :)

Seriously though, as a kid I was told my short sight would worsen until about aged 40 then go the other way. I wad amazed to go for a recent 'ish test to find I'd improved by 1 diopter in one eye and half in the other. Think it's gotten better again so must go and get checked out. Can pretty much watch the telly with them off now. (Mind we've gone from a 14" portable to a 60"! :) ) LONG sight here I come!

Measuring is the worst thing. To mark to the nearest mm I'm looking over the top of my glasses now.

I have been using reading glasses (self select) for years.

Distance has been fine, but as already noted, can't read the numbers on the speedo in the car.

2 years ago the optician decided I deed "distance glasses" They are bloody brilliant, not only is distant stuff crystal clear but I can also read the numbers on the dials on the dashboard (most of my problem is astigmatism)

On the other hand the optician also decided I should have prescription reading glasses.  They were a disaster. I tok them back and complained. the problem with them is I can read a book with them perfectly at 12" but a computer monitor on the desk is out of focus, and worse, it's shaped like a barrel (no longer square)  They just said the readers were doing their job and are not suitable for the pc, for which I need a different set of glasses that would be £150.  I still use the self select readers for the pc.