Applying for a JIB card

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhamoggy

Reaction score
Im 44 and started back at college nearly 4 years back doing a couple of evenings a week. I now have:

C&G 2330 level 2

C&G 2330 level 3

C&G 2382-12 (17th edition including amendment 1)

C&G 2391-10 (test & inspect)

I thought that'd be enough for a gold card or approved electrician but they say I need NVQ3 !

I'm all done with college now and really don't want to go back and do another year.

What a farce !!!!

nor have I, and they told me I needed one, and that Id never get one, or ever ever ever be able to work in England again.!

FIBBERS!!!

oh, and they did offer me one a while back,

I politely declined, :slap

If thats the case why are there of jobs being advertised and employers are specifically asking for potential applicants to be JIB graded or registered.

Or are they just full of it??

If thats the case why are there of jobs being advertised and employers are specifically asking for potential applicants to be JIB graded or registered.Or are they just full of it??
I think some people think its a way of making sure they dont end up with a 5WW,

although round here they mostly ask for either JIB/ECS/CSCS, its some sort of bum covering excercise I think.

I've got all the qualifications as stated above and more, but I started my NVQ level 3 a few months back. It's a portfolio of all the work you do, taking pics of work you do. Working safely and all that other milarkee. Seems like a load of carp to me.

The reality is if you need to go on a site generally new construction whether domestic, commercial or otherwise then H&S insist that each person has relevant qualifications for their trade. What better way than to have a card detailing such.

However if you are self employed and say, 1 have established your business in a specific area and have built your reputation accordingly or 2 are self employed working for (subbing) to a reputable outfit, then you'll find that really the JIB card is nothing more than a paper tick box exercise and can be easily overlooked.

Most outfits use it as a means of litmus test to ensure what is said to be a minimum standard. When realistically its not what piece of paper you have got but whether you are actually capable of doing the job and whether you are a person of integrity.

I suspect canoe that you are well established and therefore quite well known in your field.

Totally agree the JIB card proves nothing. The sooner it falls apart the better I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect canoe that you are well established and therefore quite well known in your field.Totally agree the JIB card proves nothing. The sooner it falls apart the better I think.
It's been going now for over 40 years.

nvq or time served apprentice/experience, all the older lads i know just needed an employer or ex employer to say they had competence. otherwise you could go to collage for a year or two, get all your c+g stuff and have a card saying your an electrician, all without any site experience.

When I was working as a subbie a during 2010 when work was getting hard to find, if I didn't have my jib card I would have been out of work because the sites I got on required it or you would have to work as a mate/ improver.

When I was working as a subbie a during 2010 when work was getting hard to find, if I didn't have my jib card I would have been out of work because the sites I got on required it or you would have to work as a mate/ improver.
yeah it's the ecs part of it you need for the h+s bit.