Approved Contractor ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a career as an electrician is far less likely to destroy my back and knees in the same way house bashing currently is
I'm currently signed off by the Doc...................knee gave way, on the xray form in bold lettering "Electrician pos OA or ligament damage"........suppose it has nothing to do with crawling over joists, kneeling on hard flooring or wet ground, knees pressed against top of steps .......all an every day occurance for a spark.

And I've worn knee pads for the past god knows how many years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will need to visit the doc soon, had knee strapped for the last 3 months.

I get up in the morning and it feels not bad, then by 10am it aching like mad, get home keep leg stretched out and it starts to feel not bad again.

I think I need putting down.

If i was you i would stick with your building work, while doing a day a week at college.  I decided to change career at 36 & looked at the short courses but decided not to bother because of the cost.  I thought if i went to college i'd only have to pay £450 for my first year & if i didn't enjoy it, well it's only a small amount of money to loose.  I loved it & done the 3 years, 2330, 17th, 2391, AM2 & nvq with an electrician.  I done all this while working full time.  I have constantly studied & read numerous books.  I have now been working for myself for just under 2 years doing domestic & small commercial.  Everyday is a learning curve & pieces of the jigsaw are still falling in place.  You need time for things to sink in, something which short courses would never give you!  My personal opinion now is, short courses are just a money making scheme.

If i was you i would stick with your building work, while doing a day a week at college.  I decided to change career at 36 & looked at the short courses but decided not to bother because of the cost.  I thought if i went to college i'd only have to pay £450 for my first year & if i didn't enjoy it, well it's only a small amount of money to loose.  I loved it & done the 3 years, 2330, 17th, 2391, AM2 & nvq with an electrician.  I done all this while working full time.  I have constantly studied & read numerous books.  I have now been working for myself for just under 2 years doing domestic & small commercial.  Everyday is a learning curve & pieces of the jigsaw are still falling in place.  You need time for things to sink in, something which short courses would never give you!  My personal opinion now is, short courses are just a money making scheme.
:Applaud

well said that man.

mr electric

it does not behove anyone to

rub mr smith up

the right way

wrong way

or any other way for that matter

mr smith has been known to avail himself of mr apaches large syringe

on one or two occasions

however

mr smith generally prefers

to initiate his own exemplification of miscreants

the forum should feel blessed

we have mr apache

who is skilled in putting things down

and we have mr smith

who also displays a certain penchant for

cleaning the algae from the gene pool on occasion

I thought it.............

but wasn`t going to post it...

:slap

" cleaning the algae from the gene pool" ROTFL

Mr Smith - I do so like that particular turn of phrase. Thanks, you`ve cheered me up no end

oh, and where would I be watching a film?

I dont have a movie screen in my spare room..........    :C

sorry, I call it TV if its on my TV, but I know where you are coming from.

FFS,

after buying that fricking drill I got told was a good purchase I can barely get into my shed now,.!!!!!!!!!

:shakehead

what was I thinking....?

shed of the year? naw, not for me, its my beer, my TV, and my pawrn.!  :D