Arrg.. Building Control...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See Approved Document P, sections 1.28 and 1.29 under the heading 'Third Party Certification' ;)
This isn't a reference to a regulation? Or the law?

ADP06 is just guidance.

I did notify before and pay the reduced fee for having my own electrician check it. - As per their instructions:
What's all this reduced fee business?

The building control department are able to charge one of 5 listed fees, as per the law.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1998/19983129.htm

Basically that's a full plans app inc the inspection part (2 charges then in this instance), building notice fee (this is what affects most of us), or reversion or regularisation (probably not on our radar for regular work.)

If you pay the building notice fee you tell them your method of installation (inc the sparks who'll sign it off, with his certificates as appropriate), call them out when 1st fix is done, then offer them to look it over once energised and hand them over a copy of the cert (EIC or PIR) at that time.

There's no law that says a EIC MUST be issued, it's a reg. The Building Act (part P) isn't concerned with the non statutory regs, only the Part P requirement (The Reasonable Provision bit).

There's no scope for the building control to charge a reduced fee if you do it a certain way. Ask them to point you to the law that says they can if they insist.

No there is not and I never said there was!! BS7671 like any BS or EN are only recommendations not law and would never recommend insurance requirements as they are technical documents. What I'm saying is your insurance company may not accept a negligence claim if you start signing a single person EIC when you did not undertake the design and install.As it is unlikely that the OP would have insurance whether PLI or PII I would cosider this to be moot.

To issue PIR

What's all this reduced fee business?The building control department are able to charge one of 5 listed fees, as per the law.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1998/19983129.htm

Basically that's a full plans app inc the inspection part (2 charges then in this instance), building notice fee (this is what affects most of us), or reversion or regularisation (probably not on our radar for regular work.)

If you pay the building notice fee you tell them your method of installation (inc the sparks who'll sign it off, with his certificates as appropriate), call them out when 1st fix is done, then offer them to look it over once energised and hand them over a copy of the cert (EIC or PIR) at that time.

There's no law that says a EIC MUST be issued, it's a reg. The Building Act (part P) isn't concerned with the non statutory regs, only the Part P requirement (The Reasonable Provision bit).

There's no scope for the building control to charge a reduced fee if you do it a certain way. Ask them to point you to the law that says they can if they insist.
My understanding is that not all LABCs apply the letter of the law.

Some will waive the fee if the work is carried out by an approved electrician. (That's approved as in approved by the LABC not the JIB.)

"waive the fee"?

Really?

As in do the job and notify via a building notice but don't attach a cheque, or write in "fee waived" as per agreement with BC head officer?

Now, that's the way forward ;)

From what I've heard, it's all a bit hit and miss.

Some LABCs will charge a fee for notification, then another fee for inspections.

Some accept PIRs others don't.