Ask me

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green-hornet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started my aprenticeship In 1976 and I have seen loads of changes in my time.

Most of the work I did when I started was on the replacement of the old lead cable, and the change from bakeolite to plastic.

My mentor cyril used wooden back boxes and a global earthing system.

They where real craftsmen in those days.

The cables where run in grooved wooden trays which where capped, a real sight to see, in that it was a craftmans job to the highest standards.

Reason for this thread? Well i am old, If you see something that you have not seen before ask me, I have probably worked on them.

hi do you know when they stopped useing wooden trunking ?

who where the first electricians and why ?

one more up to date question before bedtime

in the 14th edition amendments 1970 what where the voltage bands

eiv / lv / and mv

ps i am not taking the p*** just a bit of fun i was 50 taday and just looking at my copy of the 14th edition regs my dad gave me om my birthday when i was 14

one more up to date question before bedtimein the 14th edition amendments 1970 what where the voltage bands

eiv / lv / and mv

ps i am not taking the p*** just a bit of fun i was 50 taday and just looking at my copy of the 14th edition regs my dad gave me om my birthday when i was 14
was grim in the olden days - you'd want a Playstation now :)

Happy BirthdayGuiness Drink

I still have some of my old books and even some notes from my apprentice years. You have two years on me so together we should have seen loads of stuff.

Happy BirthdayGuiness DrinkI still have some of my old books and even some notes from my apprentice years. You have two years on me so together we should have seen loads of stuff.
hi yes we can go back a bit it should be good for young guys

coming across old installes we could be the antiques road show

of the forum

I started my aprenticeship In 1976 and I have seen loads of changes in my time.Most of the work I did when I started was on the replacement of the old lead cable, and the change from bakeolite to plastic.

My mentor cyril used wooden back boxes and a global earthing system.

They where real craftsmen in those days.

The cables where run in grooved wooden trays which where capped, a real sight to see, in that it was a craftmans job to the highest standards.

Reason for this thread? Well i am old, If you see something that you have not seen before ask me, I have probably worked on them.
You must have known Michael Faraday then ! ; \ :p ;) But I have to say that you are a mere child. :| It is a worrying fact that I finished my apprenticeship a year after England won the World Cup :( ;) You work it out.

Deke

OMG! you probably worked on the original installs, I saw as a boy!

Lead cables, an all

one more up to date question before bedtimein the 14th edition amendments 1970 what where the voltage bands

eiv / lv / and mv

A belated happy birthday from me patspark Guiness DrinkGuiness Drink

You should have added your birthday to the calender. ;)