Assessment failure or not???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulmer

Reaction score
Ok heres goes, i'll get right to the point.

Changed a CU and plan to use it for my Elecsa assessment.

Everything checks out fine with regard testing and all to current regs, apart from...

...garage spurred from downstair RFC:O, so have now made the spur into a radial protected by a 16amp RCBO. (Not perfect, but miles safer than before and you guessed it, the customer will not pay a garage CU and new supply).

So my main worry is as the earthing is tnc-s, am I likely to get a big red cross from the assessor on the day, as I've essentially exported the earth in the garage.

(The garage does not have any extraneous conductive part by the way.) :put the kettle on

Thanks for your input people

Had a chat with Elecsa tech on this very subject. He was fine with exported earth.

Worms,can,open!

Had a chat with Elecsa tech on this very subject. He was fine with exported earth. Worms,can,open!
There's only one person I know who is dead against exported earths regardless of the situation. All of the official guidance from inspectorates and DNO's say it's fine under certain circumstance and don;t outright ban it.

A spur with 4 socket outlets and 2 light fittings.
I see. Still not a problem as long as there's a fused connection unit on it though, but I'm assuming there wasn;t.

it wouldn't need to be fused if on a 16amp mcb. correct me if im wrong?

it wouldn't need to be fused if on a 16amp mcb. correct me if im wrong?
Correct. If the garage was tapped into the middle of a 16 or 20A radial it would be fine as is, as long as the fusing was in for the lighting in the garage.

but if it was spurred from the ring in the house to the garage it would need an fcu

thats for info only

Spurred from the ring and not a FCU in sight. Not even for the lights!

I don't follow what you have done here, where did you fit the RCBO in the CU or somewhere on the ring? If it is in the CU then does that mean the garage was wired back to the 32A mcb of the ring to start with?

If so then the RCBO is ok for sockets and they need a FCU in the garage for the lights.

However as it stands presently with my DNO it should be TT'd with its own 2 way CU, I'm on the fence about exporting as none of the powers that be have issued any official ruling. I personally always TT outbuildings, it was only last week I rang E-ON for their take on it and they said I had a choice 1) new supply or 2) provide earth rod, but don't export. It

If there is something that the customer won't pay for , then you can't do it, make sure you tell the assessor so he knows that you understand , ELECSA guys are very approachable.

I don't follow what you have done here, where did you fit the RCBO in the CU or somewhere on the ring? If it is in the CU then does that mean the garage was wired back to the 32A mcb of the ring to start with?Originally spurred from a 30amp ring with no FCU in the garage. I have taken the spur out of the RFC, extended it so that it now goes into the CU and is protected by the 16amp RCBO.

If so then the RCBO is ok for sockets and they need a FCU in the garage for the lights.

Correct.

However as it stands presently with my DNO it should be TT'd with its own 2 way CU, I'm on the fence about exporting as none of the powers that be have issued any official ruling. I personally always TT outbuildings, it was only last week I rang E-ON for their take on it and they said I had a choice 1) new supply or 2) provide earth rod, but don't export. It

Replace the light switch with a sfcu. (assuming the supply goes thought the switch).