backboxes in paramount partitioning

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulman

Reaction score
Hi has anyone come across these types of walls it like strong egg carton, i need to fit a backbox into one any advice cheers.

There is normally sufficient depth to fit a standard dry lining box into a paramount wall....

Just need to push a few of the inner structure pieces to the side to allow the back box winged lugs to expand sideways.....

BUT ..

don't try and do two sockets back to back either side of the wall!!!

stagger them if needed in two rooms! ;)

Blether a BFO hole/access channel from top or bottom with a length of conduit or a s4itty stick. Cut hole, fit box. If too thin for DL box fit a 25mm metal box with those annoying little wings/lugs adapters that fall off.

Fit cable and apply applicable Regs 50mm, RCD, Causal Matrix, OCPD, Dalek Invasion Yahda Yahda Yahda.

No different to any othe demountable partition walling really... :coat

As others have said, fitting a back box is not difficult. It's just a thin plasterboard wall after all.

The difficult bit comes if you are trying to add an extra socket, how the get the cable through.

The technique on a new build is punch the cable channels through before you assemble the wall.

but if you re trying to add an extra socket on an existing wall in situ, then your hardest bit will be punching through all the egshell to get your cable to the new point. for that you need something firm, but flexible.

I was lucky when I done my house, I had the kitchen ceiling down so hammered a bit of 20mm pvc up for the shower cable,

screwable sewer rods are good if you are restricted for space, you can usually get a full one between ceiling and roof and still enough room for a hammer swing, hopefully.