power supply 4.5v like for like?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter davenport

Reaction score
Hi all
Newbie here, i am not a qualified electrician just a diyer, i realise that attempting electrical jobs whilst not being qualified is a big no no, but only attempt things that i feel comfortable with and nothing major.
We have just bought a new house so i hope this forum will be usefull in advice in the coming months/years.

As we are approaching xmas my wife has brought down the xmas lights and ut seems that 2 of the power adaptors have given up the ghost. Question is can i use any adaptor of the same voltage or is there more to it than that?
i have attached a couple of photos to better see what type they are.

Anyway thanks for accepting me on here and hope to interact more often in the coming months /years
cheers for now

pete

Attachments​

Attachments

• pow.JPG
    pow.JPG
    375.6 KB · Views: 0
  • pow1.JPG
    pow1.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 1
The socket will need to be compatible with your existing plug.

As has been said, so long as you get a power supply of the same voltage and same or higher current you will have no problem, that said you can get a direct replacement, BUT there are around 20 of them all with the same part number, but different output socket (some barrel like you have, some 2 pin. some 4 pin)
The worst part is, the one I found, delivery, will be after Christmas and it costs £20, it's probably cheaper to buy a new set 😞

You can try cpc.co.uk they have adapters with sets of different plugs, however 4.5V is not that common so it may require a new set of lights.