Megger X1 vs Metrel Mi3152 XC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at a new MFT as I'm doing more EV chargers and I've only got a Megger 1721.
I had a Metrel 10 years ago and it never let me down, I've had Megger around 4 years and it's been fine apart from test leads deteriorating.

I use easycert so I don't think I'd make use of the Bluetooth results feature.

I can't seem to see a massive difference between the two above testers so looking for real world feedback of anybody has one?

Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong but the tester does not need to input the type of RCD it just needs to apply the correct test current.

But it has to be the correct type of test current for the DC blinding issues
BS 7671 which is the minimum standard only requires an RCD regardless of it's type to be tested with an AC current obviously this may change in the future.
If you set your meter for an A type you could argue you are not adhering to the minimum standard and should actually test it twice, Type A and for Type AC.

Looking at a new MFT as I'm doing more EV chargers and I've only got a Megger 1721.
I had a Metrel 10 years ago and it never let me down, I've had Megger around 4 years and it's been fine apart from test leads deteriorating.

I use easycert so I don't think I'd make use of the Bluetooth results feature.

I can't seem to see a massive difference between the two above testers so looking for real world feedback of anybody has one?

Thanks
I have been using the Metrel MI3152 XC for about 2½ years now having upgraded from a Metrel 61557 Eurotest after close on 20 years
I bought the 3152 back in March 2022 as a premium kit that included a number of additional accessories (earth rod test kit and current clamps etc) and the MESM software for downloading the test results and also updating the meter firmware also included the kit I purchased was the A1532 XA ev chargepoint test adaptor

The 3152 took a little while to get used to navigating the touch screens rather than just turning the rotary switch I was previously used to but it is all part of getting up to speed with a new piece of test kit, the memory structure setup was the hardest part to learn but once I got used to it after 2 or 3 months it is now quite straight forward to add sites and installation structure

I use the Vespula certificate software which is now marketed as Megger Certsuite so there is no direct download of results from the 3152 although there is the ability to print all the test results using the Metrel MESM software to append to a cert if needed

I like the Metrel 3152 and looked at other meters for a couple of years before I decided on the Metrel unit and I'm still happy with it, I added the A2214 ring circuit test adaptor which has some issues which Metrel UK don't seem to have the interest to fix
The only downside I have found is the sales support from Metrel UK has really deteriorated since Brendan Beaver who was the UK sales manager left and his replacement Nathan Ridgway can only be described as very arrogant and unhelpful and does not respond to my emails now

BS 7671 which is the minimum standard only requires an RCD regardless of it's type to be tested with an AC current obviously this may change in the future.
If you set your meter for an A type you could argue you are not adhering to the minimum standard and should actually test it twice, Type A and for Type AC.
I suppose a lot depends on how you read BS 7671 and also guidance note 3 in relation to RCD testing
If you are installing A, B or F type RCD's and do not have a tester capable of specific type testing of them are you properly equiped especially when testing EV chargepoints

I suppose it is down to wether the MFT has upgrade facility (the Megger does) so new devices can be added and also wether you can do the software/firmware updates at home rather than sending it away.

I suppose it is down to wether the MFT has upgrade facility (the Megger does) so new devices can be added and also wether you can do the software/firmware updates at home rather than sending it away.
So does the Metrel