Banging head off wall Mic problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowlingo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to connect a mic to my 4 way cctv dvr unit of which has a mono audio in and audio out BNC socket.

Today I bought a set of pc speakers with amp in and connected it to the mono audio out via BNC to phono adaptor - phono to 3.5mm jack socket adaptor and the speakers are working fine...they are humming etc when I turn the relevant camera on

I then did the same connection routine on the BNC mono input socket (BNC to phono adaptor - phono to 3.5mm jack adaptor)

I then connected the mic from my pc headphones of which are a 3.5mm jack but they dont work no matter what I do

I have tried mono - stereo adaptors also

I have contacted the company who sold me the 4 way dvr and spoke to the tech support and he said its set up correctly but said he has never tried connecting a non cctv mic (the cctv mics seem to have a red power connection and a white phono sound connection)

Tomorrow I am getting a 3.5mm jack "Audio Technica ATR4697 Omnidirectional Condenser Boundary Microphone" delivered and am pretty sure it wont work due to the headphone mic not working...this new mic is to be put into an external rabbit hutch so I can record the neighbours shouting abuse across our garden etc

I have tested the headphone mic on my pc and its working fine

Can anyone put me out of my misery please

Thanks

The condenser mic, and built in units to cameras, are pre-amped to "line level" inputs (dependant on the standard, this is either 0.775V @ odB; or 2V @ 0 dB.

A bog-standard, moving coil microphone is generating a couple of mV - nowhere near enough.

You`d need to pre-amp the mic up to line levels (like direct injection).

Does that help?

KME

The condenser mic, and built in units to cameras, are pre-amped to "line level" inputs (dependant on the standard, this is either 0.775V @ odB; or 2V @ 0 dB.A bog-standard, moving coil microphone is generating a couple of mV - nowhere near enough.

You`d need to pre-amp the mic up to line levels (like direct injection).

Does that help?

KME
thanks for the reply...from what I can gather I need to put one of these on it using one of the 2 inputs for it to work in mono without speakers? Microphone Preamplifier : AV Accessories : Maplin

Latest posts