Basic LED lamp question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have not used any LED lighting up to now just the GU10s or MR16s halogens.

1) What are the drivers for ?

2) Can you just buy the LED lamps and use them in GU10 fittings or MR16's fittings or do they need drivers or are they built in.

3) Are all LED lamps dimmable?

I know these are basic questions but better start fitting LEDs rather than halogens all the time

Cheers :)

All LED lamps will need a suitable driver for them, there are those that are replacements for GU10 and MR16's that have the drivers built into the lamp themselves a result of this is that the replacement lamps are longer than those they are replacing.

There are different ratings for the drivers and a typical set up will 1 driver per ten lamps or such like.

Not all LED's are dimmable however more and more are now available.

I have replaced some GU10s with standard length LEDs that dont require an external driver, a little more expensive though, but a lot less labour so the cost balances itself IMO.

be careful though as not all LEDs will fit all holders, especially the ones with circlips.

We've found that some of the LED replacements are fine except for the beam angle. They are getting better, but no point replacing nice wide GU10s with nasty spotty LEDs.

you can get LEDs with different beam angles too Ali, just like halogens.

the other thing to be wary off is the colour of the LEDs, they come in a lot more ranges than standard halogen I have found, or maybe the halogens I was using were limited..... :|

I think the trouble is there are so many on the market you have a a job choosing the ones for what you want. Some don't comply with the buildings regs so can't be used on new builds/extensions as the light output is not sufficient.

There are a range of dimmable coming into the market now though I haven't had the pleasure of using these. I tend to use. Deltech/Hispec 230V GU10's. I get them at a price of

i can second that i have put them in all my up stairs down lights warm in all the bedrooms /landing and cool in the bathroom gu 10 and mr 16 one thing to look out for when replaceing gu10s is the depth off the down light but they do them for all well impressed with them and all so cheaper running as my daughter can leave the landing light on now dont thing she knows how to turn them off as all teenagers

i got mine from cef

Last edited by a moderator:
Phillips - straight retro fit for 50WHalogens (GU10 and MR16), several avail inc 40 Beam angle, 5.5W not dimmable at this time but

These are the more expensive but superb

Latest posts