Bath death

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been into many a installation, where the main earth was not present/and or disconnected..

(Luckily in all but one case, some bonding was present)

:|

I have come accross the same luckily with no fatalaties.

I hope the government see some sence and make it law.

Absolutely Terrible for all concerned. Especially the young Mum's 5 Year old Daughter, who found her Mum's Body. :(

That really is awfulAND on the same night another member reports a house with no earth!

:|
dont forget there are many thousands of other sparks out there, who do not come here to tell us their stories! there has got to be thousands of houses like that around, but until its made law, there just going to get left.

few letting agents i do work for have some bad houses. really old wiring. was asked to price for a few new sockets in one last year. gave price, including upgrading DB (very old, pre wylex days!), rod & earthing. cant say im surprised i didnt get the job.

fortunately, there is at least some kind of backup. even if its by some bonding somewhere, which can usually reduce any voltage low enough not to kill. but when that isnt there, its just a matter of time.

landlords can be the hardest people to work for. there only bothered about getting the money in. unless its law, there not going to spend anything making it safe. landlords like should be forced to live in their rented place for a few weeks per year. let them see just how dangerous it is. but then they still wont care if there getting paid

Lets hope the ***** of a landlady gets locked up and maybe some of these other money grabbing people will see they need to maintain there propertys. I personally will not work for estate agents as I have got fed up telling them about the problems with the properties and the owners not getting things put right.

Batty

Lets hope the ***** of a landlady gets locked up and maybe some of these other money grabbing people will see they need to maintain there propertys. I personally will not work for estate agents as I have got fed up telling them about the problems with the properties and the owners not getting things put right.Batty
We can not blame the landlord as god knows we like to.

They have not been educated in the facts Part P is a joke which we all pay for to be recognised, however if the landlords know nothing and the general public know nothing then lets blame the scheme providers and the government not the landlady in this case who is probably just as distraught as the parents.

We can not blame the landlord as god knows we like to.They have not been educated in the facts Part P is a joke which we all pay for to be recognised, however if the landlords know nothing and the general public know nothing then lets blame the scheme providers and the government not the landlady in this case who is probably just as distraught as the parents.
but part p doesnt cover PIR's... thats still one area of work we dont yet have to pay our yearly subscription to be able to carry out

there is a lack of publicity/knowledge of electric safety. everyone knows gas has to be checked yearly because its dangerous. yet ignore all wiring. even if it was law for PIR's, i doubt it would be fully enforced. maybe letting agents would start to demand it, but those renting via other means (like if they already have someone there, or rent it by newspaper etc) probably will ignore it

We can not blame the landlord as god knows we like to.They have not been educated in the facts Part P is a joke which we all pay for to be recognised, however if the landlords know nothing and the general public know nothing then lets blame the scheme providers and the government not the landlady in this case who is probably just as distraught as the parents.
I disagree if she lets that property out she has a duty of care to ensure it is safe, she cannot say her electrician was to busy to look at it I think you will find there are more than one electrician in this country.

I disagree if she lets that property out she has a duty of care to ensure it is safe, she cannot say her electrician was to busy to look at it I think you will find there are more than one electrician in this country.
I am definately not saying you are wrong batty, I do not know the full facts which is why I can not blame someone however horrible the outcome.

At the end of the day Part P and the scheme providers including the revered NICEIC and the ECA have turned a blind eye on electrical safety.

Simple fact is you can now do a fortnights course and be able to join any scheme provider. Their main interest is to generate growth and financial gain, as we all know financial gain and safety never walk the same line.

This is one death that could easily be avoided with legislation.

I would ,and have written to the esc to express my views, like to ban all limited scope from any involvement with part p.

I have also asked for the immediate cancellation of any part p organisation on the grounds that the system has been abused.

However they will not reply, and would fob me off as a crackpot lunatic.

Such is the revenue of part P and our british upbringing on stiffer upper lip lets stand in que.

I am definately not saying you are wrong batty, I do not know the full facts which is why I can not blame someone however horrible the outcome.At the end of the day Part P and the scheme providers including the revered NICEIC and the ECA have turned a blind eye on electrical safety.

Simple fact is you can now do a fortnights course and be able to join any scheme provider. Their main interest is to generate growth and financial gain, as we all know financial gain and safety never walk the same line.

This is one death that could easily be avoided with legislation.

I would ,and have written to the esc to express my views, like to ban all limited scope from any involvement with part p.

I have also asked for the immediate cancellation of any part p organisation on the grounds that the system has been abused.

However they will not reply, and would fob me off as a crackpot lunatic.

Such is the revenue of part P and our british upbringing on stiffer upper lip lets stand in que.
I know what you are saying is true. BS who I am with do not do limited scope and I have seen NIC registered sparks work recently and it has a lot to be desired. I personally think the part p is a total failure as not many people have even heard about it. But that womans death has nothing to do with part p its a money grabbing woman who has shown no duty of care.

Batty

Batty she may never have even known!

Thats my point.

Its the Government and the scheme providers who are at fault.

If just if we could prove she had known the electrical installation was unsafe then we could blame her.

However we can not.

We do get passionate about electrical safety, simply because we all know the dangers.

Unfortunately many people do not.

Its a simple fact of life, and however angry we are its of little consequence to the family of the person who died.

My understanding is that the landlady inherited the property from her mother, who used to let out the property as a holiday rental.

The landlady's husband (a local builder) sugested that an RCD should be installed, and a local electrician was unable to fit the work in before the tennants moved in.

A 2nd. hand bathroom heater was installed, which had come from the landlady's mother's main home. It was this heater which became faulty along with no main earth connection that caused voltage (173V) to be present at the taps.

There has been no mention of who installed the bathroom heater, and what tests (if any) had been carried out when it was installed. It may have been a replacement on a like for like basis?

Shall we look at the bigger picture......

that could have been Joe Public buying the house and moving in thinking everything is ok because he is not familiar with the electrical issues.

who is responsible then ??????

the person who has bought the house

so its not just landlords

why the electrics were not included in HIPS i will never understand but i think

the goverment realised that putting PIRS in the sellersd pack would stall the property market..

Well Mr Brown the bankers did it anyway....

maybe there is more assumption that if its rented, its safe and doesnt need checked (since landlord has duty to ensure its safe and all that). unlike if you bought it, then it could be any condition