Bath death

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a perfect world:

Inexperienced people should be prevented from buying ANY electrical fittings

(electricians etc. should have a registration card that allows them to buy equipment from registered suppliers).

Only electricians would be licensed to install.

Domestic electrical installations would be checked periodically BY LAW. Insurance companies should refuse cover for households without relevant certification.

The ambiguity of Part P would be removed by abandoning the limited scope ability. There really is no need for kitchen fitters to be installing electrical equipment. An electrician doesn't install kitchen cabinets. Also, DIY Bob adding a socket to an existing circuit is as much of a risk as DIY Bob adding a new circuit. Stop it all together.

A fact sheet outlining the dangers of electricity would be supplied to every household (if it can be done with Swine Flu it can be done with electricity). It would include information in plain english on safe use of power in the home, warning signs to look for and who to contact to get work done.

Fast track courses would be banned. Registered training providers would have specific courses provided to them and these would be the only places that they could be accessed.

Now, who wants to start the discussion on why i've just described Cloud Cuckoo Land??

"Landlady Hilary Thompson had asked a local electrician to look over the property before the new family moved in, but because of work pressure, he had not done so."

after hearing that im sure her 5yo grand daughter will sleep much better!!!

Couleddie has hit the nail on the head there. My thoughts exactly.

"Landlady Hilary Thompson had asked a local electrician to look over the property before the new family moved in, but because of work pressure, he had not done so."after hearing that im sure her 5yo grand daughter will sleep much better!!!
Must be a load of work around that town. Seems like the only sparky is busy.

she could have easily got another spark to do the work. if she was getting a spark to do the work, then she most likely knew the wiring was dangerous, yet still let a family move in

Until it is in black and white, and made law as it is with gas this will continue to happen. There isnt loads of money in renting houses at the moment so landlords will not carry out what they dont HAVE to do. The law is at fault, not the landlord.

Lets face it how many landlords would have gas safety certs done every year if it wasnt law? How many people would have a MOT every year if you didnt have to?

Hopefully its a matter of time before it does change, then rented houses will be safer.

There's really NO excuse. It'd be nice to think an incident like this would remind people of not messing with something you can't hear, see or smell unless you're getting paid for it.

I think it's time to bring back the PIF (Public Information Film). Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-GEmHtIRNk

i dont think anyone would watch a 10+ minute program like that.

maybe a few safety messages of a few minutes (to fit in an advert slot) would do much better, and keep it all simple

Trouble is, these days with Sky + nobody watches adverts.

Perhaps safety issues could be incorporated into popular TV shows. Connecting the entire cast of Coronation Street to the mains would be a good demonstration of the danger of electricity AND make television much safer for the intelligent. :D

Trouble is, these days with Sky + nobody watches adverts. Perhaps safety issues could be incorporated into popular TV shows. Connecting the entire cast of Coronation Street to the mains would be a good demonstration of the danger of electricity AND make television much safer for the intelligent. :D
that may actually be a better way of it. i have sky + too, and i watch most things from the hard drive, so skip the adverts. maybe have a similar setup to this in a program - landlord does not check wiring, someone is killed, he gets locked up because he didnt do anything about it. should have some effect on landlords watching

Good point, Andy, but you're relying on said landlords having a conscience. Could be a sticking point.

why the electrics were not included in HIPS i will never understand but i think

the goverment realised that putting PIRS in the sellersd pack would stall the property market..
I understand that the professional body representing Estate Agents lobbied the government on both Electrics and Gas, too many properties would have highlighted as in need of work, which in turn would have devalued properties and impacted on agents commissions

It's a matter of public record that they did not want HIPS, but the gov had committed to reduced CO2 targets or face a fines from Brussels

and have you seen someone do the energy efficiency check for hips ???

not worth the paper its written on

the guy i watched didnt even go in the loft !!!!

I understand that the professional body representing Estate Agents lobbied the government on both Electrics and Gas, too many properties would have highlighted as in need of work, which in turn would have devalued properties and impacted on agents commissions It's a matter of public record that they did not want HIPS, but the gov had committed to reduced CO2 targets or face a fines from Brussels
another fine example of money over safety...

yet we have to jump through other hoops, like energy performance etc etc, which if isnt done, isnt going to kill. this government needs to get its priorities right