Bathroom extactor fan isolater. reg or good practice???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodneylucky13

Reaction score
Can someone point me in the right direction of the 17th edition regs with regaurds to fan isolators. Im looking at fitting a extractor fan in a bathroom that currently dosnt have one. Im trying to see if its a regulation that i need to fit a fan isolator or if its just good practice.

It more of a case of where i have to fit one. Just trying to see if it could go in the loft with the fan or not . Iv sceen them on new jobs with them being outside of the bathroom in hall ways or above the door of the bathroom. if i can go in the loft it save me a job and hassel of chasing the wall out.

It would be the regulation that says that manufactures instructions should be followed. There was a recent forum debate about the necessity to provide additional fusing or not to extractor fans, with reasonable argument that it could be omitted on a 6A circuit. But as Paul says, I cannot see much ground for omitting an isolator for both maintenance and functionality.

Doc H. .

It more of a case of where i have to fit one
But thats not what you originaly asked.

Is it going to be an inline fan up in the loft? if so put the switch by the loft hatch.

It more of a case of where i have to fit one. Just trying to see if it could go in the loft with the fan or not . Iv sceen them on new jobs with them being outside of the bathroom in hall ways or above the door of the bathroom. if i can go in the loft it save me a job and hassel of chasing the wall out.
What does the customer do if they want to turn it off a night cuz the hum is very noisy when lying in bed? Go in the loft.

Doc H.

it is a fluch to ceiling one , but my point is where to put a fan isolation switch. do it need to go in a hall way out side the bathrrom or above the door in the room. this is what im trying to find out

Lets assume you do fit one. Its for isolating the fan for maintanence, not for the user to turn off at night when having a pee. It should be in the loft next to the fan. If the customer wants to be able to turn the fan off then an additonal one should be fitted outside the bathroom. Alternatively fit one that can be locked off.

Edit. Scrub that as the OP has now said the fans in the bathroom :_| .

Last edited by a moderator:
yes , iv got a red copy , il have a look under section 537 and go from there , thanks
Red is 6 months+ out of date, you should be working to the Green one now.

Doc H.

it is a fluch to ceiling one , but my point is where to put a fan isolation switch. do it need to go in a hall way out side the bathrrom or above the door in the room. this is what im trying to find out
When you ge a green copy of the regs look at section 701 and all will be revealed, but you'll need to do the reading work I'm not giving the answer..........