bathroom Extractor Fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpurce

Reaction score
Hi as this is notifiable work to your local Building control then you need to either contact them first OR call a Part P registered Electrician.

Really? This is an existing bathroom that was refurbished but the builder that was building our extension but forgot to put one in but building control were only intersted in the new part of the house not the existing, so I am not sure why building control would need to be involved.

Thanks for you detail.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:59 ----------

Also, something i forgot to add to me last response was the 3 Pole Isolator switch you recommended was not needed as I was installing the pull switch within the bathroom as an alternative to the Isolator switch.

You'll need a 3 pole isolator because the fan you have linked to has

1. perm line (operates the over run timer)
  2. switched line (when lights are on)
  3. neutral

all of which have to have the requirement to be isolated (it is in the regs).

why bother with the extra pull switch, come off the bathroom light for the line/switch line & neutral in to the 3 pole switch, then from the 3 pole switch to the fan.

Change the fuse/mcb to rcbo (if not already rcd/rcbo protected), test whole circuit & issue an EIC (if over current device has been changed) or MWC (if only extending circuit).

Not forgetting the usual bonding verification/upgrading/installation because the builder didnt do it.

Notify work to BC as it is in a special location.

Or

Get a part P registered sparks in to do the work for you & odds on it will be cheaper than having to pay the BC fee ;) .

Really? This is an existing bathroom that was refurbished but the builder that was building our extension but forgot to put one in but building control were only intersted in the new part of the house not the existing, so I am not sure why building control would need to be involved.Thanks for you detail.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:59 ----------

Also, something i forgot to add to me last response was the 3 Pole Isolator switch you recommended was not needed as I was installing the pull switch within the bathroom as an alternative to the Isolator switch.
Hi tpurce,

Building control must be involved as you are undertaking an addition to an electrical circuit in a "special location" as defined in both BS7671 & the building regulations specifically "Part P" of the building regulations "Electrical Safety - Dwellings"

Available in our downloads section & at the link below.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

If you check in this document you will see that any circuit changes in a bathroom have to be notified to building control, this is a statutory requirement, they must also comply with the other requirements of this document.

Building Control will only have been interested in the work detailed on the building control notice, it is therefore probable that the only work detailed was the extension you mention, thus they would not be interested in the rest.

To legally undertake this work you have to notify to your local building control department prior to commencement or otherwise utilise a contractor who can self certify and self notify under building control laws.

As far as the pull switch goes, you still need the fan isolator as you must isolate all live conductors at the fan for safety and maintenance purposes, personally, I have not yet seen a 3 pole pull switch that can isolate the switched line normally and the permanent line & neutral conductors at different times.

Thus the pull switch is not an alternative to the isolator, you also must comply with the fan manufacturers instructions which may well stipulate a 3A fuse and the fan isolator switch if you do not do this you will not comply with the statute law which is the building regulations.

I hope this explains the situation more clearly for you.

Ah part p.

But let's get into the real world.

the guy has just had an extension built. That will have a completion certificate including the wiring.

So just do it.

Even better would be if the extension was not yet signed off, then do it before the final inspection by building control.

When you come to sell the house, just tell them (in the exceedingly remote chance that they even ask) that it was done at the same time as the extension and covered by that.

Of course it MUST be done properly, no excuses for not doing it correctly.

I'll get my tin hat :coat

Ah part p.But let's get into the real world.

the guy has just had an extension built. That will have a completion certificate including the wiring.

So just do it.

Even better would be if the extension was not yet signed off, then do it before the final inspection by building control.

When you come to sell the house, just tell them (in the exceedingly remote chance that they even ask) that it was done at the same time as the extension and covered by that.

Of course it MUST be done properly, no excuses for not doing it correctly.I'll get my tin hat :coat
the only thing Dave is if someone asked you the OP's original questions, then you would probably think that they did not know how to do the job properly, therefore getting a qualified sparks in would be the best, safest and possibly cheapest option.

Latest posts