bathroom radiator

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarni31

Reaction score
I have a gloworm boiler and a hot water tank... (thats about the depth of my Central heating knowledge) BlushingBlushing

Why when the heating is turned off and I switch the hot water advance to ON

does the bathroom radiator heat up ?..... :| and is this normal ?

Guiness Drink

yes as far as I can remember..

I ve only noticed it since turning off the heating during the summer:|

Guiness Drink

could be a few things,

last tee on pipwork in wrong place,

boiler upgrade and they used old pipework leaving the bathroom on the hot water side,

generally pipe up wrong, i would just turn it off by the valve it its a nuisance

I thought this was a normal occurance. The central heating pipework in the boiler heats up even when the pump for the heating is switched off. The warmer water is less dence and moves via a convection gradient usually to the first radiator. It doesn't get as hot as when the heating is on properly, but can get fairly warm.

I've had it in 2 houses where I lived. Turning the rad off moved it 1 room along. It's only when you have a boiler and a HW cylinder. Won't happen with a combi.

I thought this was a normal occurance. The central heating pipework in the boiler heats up even when the pump for the heating is switched off. The warmer water is less dence and moves via a convection gradient usually to the first radiator. It doesn't get as hot as when the heating is on properly, but can get fairly warm. I've had it in 2 houses where I lived. Turning the rad off moved it 1 room along. It's only when you have a boiler and a HW cylinder. Won't happen with a combi.
I agree same happens in our house not all the time just the closest rad to the storage tank

and airing cuboard.

I agree same happens in our house not all the time just the closest rad to the storage tankand airing cuboard.
The Don's bathroom radiator gets warm during the summer.

The Godfather

because they are all piped up wrong . :)
Because years ago before Gas CH, when people used coal you used to have to have a radiator in the HW loop to help stop boiling the water in the cylinder... I guess that where gas has been put in that the radiator hasn't been shifted over to the CH side.

correct noz, the majority of customers wanted the rad on when hot water is on so they could dry the towels.

Could also be motorized valve leaking slightly.
Have you changed it from a towel rail to a rad?

If so it may have been piped so it was on when hot water was on to dry towels during the summer possibily?

no ... not changed its as when I moved in.

its not getting warm it gets hot (no thermostatic valve).

I'm not bothered about it, its just something I hav'nt come across before.

Guiness Drink

no ... not changed its as when I moved in.its not getting warm it gets hot (no thermostatic valve).

I'm not bothered about it, its just something I hav'nt come across before.

Guiness Drink
Is it a fully pumped system or gravity feed system?

gravity fed I presume ... cold water tank in the loft :|

Guiness Drink