Sufficient earthing advice ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobSoanes

Reaction score
I’ve just moved into a new house and the consumer unit is more than 3m from the incoming supply so the builders electrician has put in an 80A fuse then run 16mm to the consumer unit.
All good so far but they’ve used 16mm T&E which only has a 6mm earth. Also no sign of any bonding to either gas or water - I notice only about ten percent of the houses here have gas bonding ( the gas cabinets are at the front of the house so the green & yellow is obvious ).
If there needs to be a fix to this, I’d rather not have my ceilings destroyed to run a 10mm earth so could the fused switch be replaced with an RCD unit ?
Thanks all

Moved from Electrician Talk Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
The incoming gas and water would need to be assessed to determine whether they would need bonding (less than 22k ohms to earth and they will need a 10mm bond). As there is only a 6mm cpc I guess you would have to take the bond back to the incoming and create a MET at that point. I alway find it best if using T&E to a consumer unit to also take a 10mm earth for these circumstances.

this is always a little confusing, but the 16mm T&E will have a sufficient size cpc for the ampage carryng capacity of the cable, as have all cables. Is there a main earth terminal by the Switch Fuse?

you can pretty much guarantee that the 16m isn't clipped direct and is installed in a method where its capacity is less than 80a...

bonding its also done inside at point of entry, so those with it outside arguably doesn't comply (although that's often the only practical point that's going to be accessible), the rest that's not visible from the outside may be done inside

water usually doesn't need bonding if its a plastic supply. same with gas. would need to be tested to see if its extraneous

I’ve just moved into a new house and the consumer unit is more than 3m from the incoming supply so the builders electrician has put in an 80A fuse then run 16mm to the consumer unit.
All good so far but they’ve used 16mm T&E which only has a 6mm earth. Also no sign of any bonding to either gas or water - I notice only about ten percent of the houses here have gas bonding ( the gas cabinets are at the front of the house so the green & yellow is obvious ).
If there needs to be a fix to this, I’d rather not have my ceilings destroyed to run a 10mm earth so could the fused switch be replaced with an RCD unit ?
Thanks all

Moved from Electrician Talk Forum
Does the 16 mm twin and earth run through walls ? Fabric of building ?