Bathroom spur

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

in a cupboard in the bathroom is the boiler and cylinder. Also is a single socket with a convector heater plugged in. This socket has been spurred off for an fcu for the boiler. So it's a spur off a spur. What I propose to do is replace the socket with a switched fcu and hardwire the convector heater from this sfcu and run the boiler fcu from the load side of the new sfcu. Does this sound ok?

Sorry other question was the plumber or whoever fitted the boiler fcu ran it in 1mm cable. Is this ok as the boiler fcu is fused at 3a? Or should it be run in 2.5mm as I would normally do? Thanks

Hi,in a cupboard in the bathroom is the boiler and cylinder. Also is a single socket with a convector heater plugged in. This socket has been spurred off for an fcu for the boiler. So it's a spur off a spur. What I propose to do is replace the socket with a switched fcu and hardwire the convector heater from this sfcu and run the boiler fcu from the load side of the new sfcu. Does this sound ok?
Are you sure that the boiler spur is a spur and not straight from the DB? if this is the case then it could be classed continuation of a radial circuit.

Matty

Not sure if im reading correctly? :| , but sounds like it will be still a spur from a spur

or

Do u mean make the socket a fused spur and then run a single socket and fused spur from there.

Regards chris

Matty

1mm is fine, carrys 10 amp, is it heat resistant?

Regards chris

Do u mean make the socket a fused spur and then run a single socket and fused spur from there.

Regards chris

hi chris, yeah that's what I mean. Put the fcu in place of the socket and hardwire the convector from this. And run the boiler fcu from the input side of new fcu. Does that comply.

As I thought the single socket spurred off the ring being spurred off again wouldn't comply and if it was changed to fcu then it would comply. Cheers again for replying

matty

hi chris, yeah that's what I mean. Put the fcu in place of the socket and hardwire the convector from this. And run the boiler fcu from the input side of new fcu. Does that comply.

What you need to do is run 1.5/2.5 from the load of the 1st fcu this feeds the socket and another fcu for the boiler.

Regards chris

Hi Matty , If I'm reading this right, you have a skt which is spured off the ring , and what you want to do is change the skt to a fuse spare for the boiler, and then add another spur for the heater ( yes) ? ... this is still spuring off a spur because you will be feeding the 2nd spur via the feed side of the 1st spur ... The only way to do this ( Load permitting) is change the original skt to an un switched fuse spur , then on the load side of this f/s add your 2 spurs or 1 spur and 1 skt for the heater....... Even though 2 fused spurs are the same as 1 double skt ( 26a max load ) its against regs as you are spuring a spur..

This thread will explain better than i can

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11444&page=2

HTH

Ste

I believe he is suggesting having the 13A fcu as the spur and anything after that is then on the load side of the fcu so the spur cable is protected by the fcu. He can then put as many sso's, dso's and fcu's he wants on the load side of the first fcu.

I believe he is suggesting having the 13A fcu as the spur and anything after that is then on the load side of the fcu so the spur cable is protected by the fcu. He can then put as many sso's, dso's and fcu's he wants on the load side of the first fcu.
That's how I read it, Ian :D :Salute

After re reading , I think I read it wrong the 1st time, Matty what you are suggesting is fine with the one down side of restricting your self to 13a max load.

:Blushing

Ste

I really would not worry you have a boiler that only uses a few amps and heater that is no more than 8 amps nothing is ever going to be overloaded.

The only thing that I would change is the 1mm cable which is very bad workmanship. Are you sure its not the immersion circuit so only a 16/20 amp radial.

If its got a 3A fuse then its probably just for the wiring center rather than the immersion. 1.0mm would be fine for the protected radial part (clipped direct max is 16A) but probably better in 1.5mm.

Hi M4tty. I was just wondering where the convector heater was sited ,and its Ip rating.

a1Spark

1.5mm is the minimum that can be used from the load side of a spur.
If its got a 3A fuse then its probably just for the wiring center rather than the immersion. 1.0mm would be fine for the protected radial part (clipped direct max is 16A) but probably better in 1.5mm.
i would go with ian on this one mate

Yes, maybe i should have made it clearer.

If socket outlets are supplied from a fused spur, then the minimum size is 1.5mm.