Battery Charger

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulmer

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had to install a Chloride Motive Power 21 Super battery charger.

Its rated at 48 volt / 110 amps and is single phase.

If so what type of CPD did you use? Their tech guy says its pulls 53.5 amps during use but needs an 80 amp D type MCB.

Inrush, it will have a BIG transformer in it!

Though, I would work on a guesstimate of 48x110=5280/230=23 (ish)A

Probably a D32?

You need to check this as it would have BIG cost implications!

Last edited by a moderator:
this for FLTs?
Thats correct

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:33 ----------

Inrush, it will have a BIG transformer in it!Though, I would work on a guesstimate of 48x110=5280/230=21.5 (ish)A

Probably a D32?

You need to check this as it would have BIG cost implications!
Regards the cost implications, tell me about it.

I was originally thinking along the lines that a D type MCB would sort them problem of the inrush current, but then I was told it needed to be fed from an 80 amp MCB.

Its a Merlin DB and they only go to 63 amp anyhow????

Cheers Stptoe, I was thinking 63 amp aswell before I spoke to their tech dept. Thinks i'll get back on to em in the morning

there is probably about 20 ish of them in one bay, on 2 boards fair enough, but they run constantly, the place is 24/7, I done a machine changeover once, 10am saturday til 7.30am sunday as it had to be finished in one go, apparently they had to let the whole european system know one of their machines was getting shut down!

Zdb at the DB is 0.05 and the charger point is max 12 meters away, so should be able to scrape in within the limits.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:42 ----------

there is probably about 20 ish of them in one bay, on 2 boards fair enough, but they run constantly, the place is 24/7, I done a machine changeover once, 10am saturday til 7.30am sunday as it had to be finished in one go, apparently they had to let the whole european system know one of their machines was getting shut down!
Were they the same charger then Steptoe?

I would think very similar anyway,

big buggers, with a block and tackle thingie and rollers to remove and re-fit the batteries, you wouldnt want one of them falling on your tootsies.!