Solax inveter tripping MCB

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That said long before the changes I would only mix and match if it was the only option
Me too, but I'm sure you will agree its a ridiculous situation we find ourselves in akin to only MK sockets can be fitted to an MK backbox, only Phillips lampholder can be used on Phillips bulbs, it's shear madness.

Me too, but I'm sure you will agree its a ridiculous situation we find ourselves in akin to only MK sockets can be fitted to an MK backbox, only Phillips lampholder can be used on Phillips bulbs, it's shear madness.

To justify having a new edition of the regs sufficient changes need to be created

I don't know if I can track all of the comments made on my post but I will try.
It might take me a few posts to do so.
Plus I am struggling at the moment, I don't have the hwyl for much.
I will reply so please give me time.
I think it is going to be easier for me to do it on the computer rather than on my phone.
I am limited in the time I can sit up and use the computer because I have massive pitted oedema at the moment so most of my time is spent laying down with my feet elevated!
Comfortable ish as I have a special chair, but not conducive with work-like things such as typing on a laptop!

So, it's not at all like these things.
The product standards relate to the assembly box, and breakers.
To comply with these, the assembly must comply with the standard as assembled.
How can manufacturer 1 guarantee that their box, switch and breakers will work and comply with the product standards if one of their breakers is replaced by that of manufacturer 2?
They can't.
This requirement has been in the product standards for years.
The original UK legislation dates back to 1975.
I would have to check the product standards to tell you the date that the requirements for the proof test of the assembly was implemented.
But it certainly existed in the last few revisions of the product standards.
I will start with this requirement.

How about we start a new thread?

Shall I get on the computer as soon as I can and hive off the relevant posts to a new thread in a suitable location, rather than the new introductions area?

Then come back to this, and work back through the comments?

I am definitely not proposing to wipe out the discussion I assure you.
Just perhaps get it in a better place.

Shall I get on the computer as soon as I can and hive off the relevant posts to a new thread in a suitable location, rather than the new introductions area?

Then come back to this, and work back through the comments?

I am definitely not proposing to wipe out the discussion I assure you.
Just perhaps get it in a better place.
No problem, no rush and I appreciate the discussion with you.

Standards for accessories are a different thing. MCBs can get hot, so thermal issues are part of the problem when side by side with other MCBs. That's why it's tested as an assembly. You can't guarantee mixed MCBs are thermally compliant with each other.

Standards for accessories are a different thing. MCBs can get hot, so thermal issues are part of the problem when side by side with other MCBs. That's why it's tested as an assembly. You can't guarantee mixed MCBs are thermally compliant with each other.
But surely the opportunity has been missed here to set a standard so that MCB's were interchangeable? Not unlike spark plugs in a car, different reach and temperatures but different makes can be used.

No problem, no rush and I appreciate the discussion with you.
That's how confused I am. This isn't the thread in the introduction area. That was the cancer one!

I think it may be OK to discuss mixing and matching here because it relates to what the OP is hoping to do.

I won't start a new thread yet.
Perhaps we can have a virtual show of hands, as it were, to see if we want to carry on in here or if I copy/move some posts and start a new thread on mixing and matching.

I will go through the legislation and stuff related to this in that thread then, or if the consensus is in this one, then here it is.

I believe it warrants a new thread where we can go through this, respond to the points raised, and raise more as they go along.

But, please, just not too many points in one message, my brain is not what it was, the treatment I am on has physical and mental side effects, and the mental ones are related to concentration span and confusion; chemo fog is one of the things that is referred to, it just slows one down, and you get easily confused and forgetful, it's horrible because basically, I can still do the physical things and the desk stuff I used to on my head. But I can't because of the paralysis and the brain fog. It is so cruel.
Sometimes, I break down and don't know where to turn or what to do.
I think I may have an understanding of how people living with Alzheimer's sometimes feel.

Another chemo side effect that one often does not find out about is peripheral neuropathy, where b the nerve ends in your extremities, toes, feet, fingers, and hands start to die off, and you lose feeling and skill.
And guess what? Yep, I have that too.
So not only have I for nerve damage in my spine from the tumour that paralysed me, that is compounded by the nerve damage in my feet from the chemo, and it is also exhibiting in my hands to typing is fun! 🤣

Until I was taken ill with cancer, I had moved off the tools and into consultancy and expert witness work on the Machinery and low Voltage Directives, so I have done quite a bit of work around the requirements of the standards and legislation concerning products.
I'm not saying I agree with them all, but they are what we have to work with.

Let me know the consensus, and I'll do what is needed to facilitate that if I can.
If we do this slowly, it will help me to take my mind off my condition, and maybe I can explain so that everyone understands the requirements and where I get my arguments from.
And that may help me mentally.
We don't have to agree on the legislation and standards, but I would like you all to understand where these points came from,
Because they are legitimate sources, and they are not just made up to scaremonger.

For me, I don't think there's really much to discuss, I think were all in agreement that the opportunity to make a specification for interchangeable MCB's has been missed and as it stands mixing infringes the regulations.
Really sorry to hear what you have to endure with your health and treatments, it sounds awful, a lot to put up day in day out. Hopefully, better weather is around the corner and you can get out in the sunshine, it always makes me feel better.

J

For me, I don't think there's really much to discuss, I think were all in agreement that the opportunity to make a specification for interchangeable MCB's has been missed and as it stands mixing infringes the regulations.
Really sorry to hear what you have to endure with your health and treatments, it sounds awful, a lot to put up day in day out. Hopefully, better weather is around the corner and you can get out in the sunshine, it always makes me feel better.

J
Thanks John,
I am not sure how much better I will get, but I will fight on.
My cancer is metastatic, which means it has spread from the original site and is at stage 4, which is classed as incurable.
All treatment is palliative; there is no curative intent, as I can't be cured.
The cancer is terminal.
And that takes some accepting.

Thanks John,
I am not sure how much better I will get, but I will fight on.
My cancer is metastatic, which means it has spread from the original site and is at stage 4, which is classed as incurable.
All treatment is palliative; there is no curative intent, as I can't be cured.
The cancer is terminal.
And that takes some accepting.
That's a real tough situation to deal with, it's commendable that you're fighting it as best you can. A real shitty hand you've been dealt. It seems so wrong that it's decent people suffer illnesses like you yet the real scum of the earth criminals and other low life seem to get away scot free, it simply isn't fair.

But surely the opportunity has been missed here to set a standard so that MCB's were interchangeable? Not unlike spark plugs in a car, different reach and temperatures but different makes can be used.

no way would the manufacturers allow or agree to a mix and match spec - this would only mean a race to the bottom for the cheapest.

that’s why they pushed for the regs on not mix and match - so they can squeeze out the 3rd party cheap manufacturers

no way would the manufacturers allow or agree to a mix and match spec - this would only mean a race to the bottom for the cheapest.

that’s why they pushed for the regs on not mix and match - so they can squeeze out the 3rd party cheap manufacturers
How is it any different to 13amp plugs and 13 amp sockets? Imagine if this situation existed with those.

That's how confused I am. This isn't the thread in the introduction area. That was the cancer one!

I think it may be OK to discuss mixing and matching here because it relates to what the OP is hoping to do.

I won't start a new thread yet.
Perhaps we can have a virtual show of hands, as it were, to see if we want to carry on in here or if I copy/move some posts and start a new thread on mixing and matching.

I will go through the legislation and stuff related to this in that thread then, or if the consensus is in this one, then here it is.

I believe it warrants a new thread where we can go through this, respond to the points raised, and raise more as they go along.

But, please, just not too many points in one message, my brain is not what it was, the treatment I am on has physical and mental side effects, and the mental ones are related to concentration span and confusion; chemo fog is one of the things that is referred to, it just slows one down, and you get easily confused and forgetful, it's horrible because basically, I can still do the physical things and the desk stuff I used to on my head. But I can't because of the paralysis and the brain fog. It is so cruel.
Sometimes, I break down and don't know where to turn or what to do.
I think I may have an understanding of how people living with Alzheimer's sometimes feel.

Another chemo side effect that one often does not find out about is peripheral neuropathy, where b the nerve ends in your extremities, toes, feet, fingers, and hands start to die off, and you lose feeling and skill.
And guess what? Yep, I have that too.
So not only have I for nerve damage in my spine from the tumour that paralysed me, that is compounded by the nerve damage in my feet from the chemo, and it is also exhibiting in my hands to typing is fun! 🤣

Until I was taken ill with cancer, I had moved off the tools and into consultancy and expert witness work on the Machinery and low Voltage Directives, so I have done quite a bit of work around the requirements of the standards and legislation concerning products.
I'm not saying I agree with them all, but they are what we have to work with.

Let me know the consensus, and I'll do what is needed to facilitate that if I can.
If we do this slowly, it will help me to take my mind off my condition, and maybe I can explain so that everyone understands the requirements and where I get my arguments from.
And that may help me mentally.
We don't have to agree on the legislation and standards, but I would like you all to understand where these points came from,
Because they are legitimate sources, and they are not just made up to scaremonger.
Could you not make a thread as a sticky on the front of the forum, similar to knowledge base?

Good discussion and following with interest, think a new thread would be a good idea as it would make it easier to find in future, but happy to keep looking in on this one if that is easier.
Sad to hear about your situation Sidey but thank you for technical insight into these tech issues.

Your inverter is overloading the 32A MCB, so doesn't matter which brand it is, it will still overload it. Just get a 50A Live MCB.

They have 5 days to respond to any complaints, after that go to MCS, assuming they are registered with the MCS.

His firk up, his problem to supply and fit correct materials.
Just to raise a point here as there seems to be some confusion about ratings.
The 50A figure is based on using the EPS port as a pass-thru, in that scenario you have potentially more than 1 device connected to that feed. Without EPS a lower amp breaker is fine whilst it satisfies a 7.5kW device.

ok so tiny update.

The installer is sending someone to "swap" over the MCB - Lets see what they replace it with.

They have told me 4mm cable is fine and if the MCB (after replacment) keeps tripping they will then swap to 6mm (i pointed out the manual is 8-10mm) they guy on the phone kinda laughed and ignored me.

4mm is tolerable over a short distance, and yes the MCB needs changing to stop unwanted trips. Solax units are really sensitive and finding a suitable MCB can be tricky.

He probably laughed because you don’t use EPS on the inverter.

Latest posts