bbc prog: diysos

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all:

Caught a bit of this "makeover" programme on bbc, on Friday. :(

Don`t know if any of you saw it, or picked up the (at least) 2 blatant non-compliances with regulations? ?:|

Sparks wires new light switch - to twin and earth ( red & black)!.:OX(

He also renews a socket in the lounge - approx 50mm off the skirting board! :eek: :O] :)

I`ve just drafted a letter to the programme makers, asking for their explaination. Be interesting to see their reply. Will keep you posted..... ]:)

p.s. Anyone else who saw this, and wants to send a similar missive, p.m. me, and I`ll give you the email address, and a copy of my email (for information of course)... :x :x;) :)

wait, ididnt watch it, but from what you've written whats wrong with what he has done?

Afternoon all:Caught a bit of this "makeover" programme on bbc, on Friday. :(

Don`t know if any of you saw it, or picked up the (at least) 2 blatant non-compliances with regulations? ?:|

Sparks wires new light switch - to twin and earth ( red & black)!.:OX(

He also renews a socket in the lounge - approx 50mm off the skirting board! :eek: :O] :)

I`ve just drafted a letter to the programme makers, asking for their explaination. Be interesting to see their reply. Will keep you posted..... ]:)

p.s. Anyone else who saw this, and wants to send a similar missive, p.m. me, and I`ll give you the email address, and a copy of my email (for information of course)... :x :x;) :)
let me get this right though the socket was opriginally 50mm off the skirting board level and they changed the front?

and did the sparky move the light switch further from fitting because if he did then thats minor works surely?

KME - You didn't watch that carefully. It said in the titles that this programme is a repeat. The original programme was first aired in 2003.

OK....

pohez - conductor not correctly identified, and s/o too low to comply with Building regs (part M)!

Badger,

Difficult to tell with these progs m8, as they only show bits of the job. There must have been certs issued, as they installed downlighters etc.

The socket - interesting one here. There was a shot (in the "before" bit), which showed the socket quite low to the wall, but with the wall chased above, ready to take a double b/box at what appeared to be approx 450mm

However, at the end of the prog, the s/o was at a similar height, but appeared to be further away from the corner than originally shown.

I am only pulling your leg KME.

I wanted to watch it (20:30 hrs?) - but I never go around to it.

Is "Billy" still the spark?

I am only pulling your leg KME.I wanted to watch it (20:30 hrs?) - but I never go around to it.

Is "Billy" still the spark?
not sure admin, but i remember one programme they had on in some barns or sumfink and the niceic was playing the part of the health and safety officer, billy meanwhile was cacking himself :^O because the guy supposidly closed the whole site because of a safety issue then at the end when everone was outside the building the certificate of acceptance was presented to billy boiy did he sweat that night i think

:^O :^O:_|

I remember that one well Badge, I was PMSL'ing.

OK....pohez - conductor not correctly identified, and s/o too low to comply with Building regs (part M)!

why is the s/o too low, was this a refurb?

Also did you really write a letter about those two points??!!

Yes, it was refurbed m8. Ad, the credits were 2008:) Yes, I really sent an email. And yes, Billy is the spark (who put his foot through the bathroom floor / kitchen ceiling, drilled 5 no. downlighter holes in the wrong place, and tripped the leccy out at least twice:( :(

To be fair if it was an rcd unit that tripped and hes doiing a neautral connection then its easily done to be fair to billy
to be fair then, he's working on it live then!

not if hes turned the mcb and cut the live off no but the neutral and earth would still make the rcd trip if touched together.
Yes and ask yourself why this would happen!

Yes and ask yourself why this would happen!
???????????????????? ?:| ? :|

Split load board.

Working on dead circuit... Mcb off (locked off even! ; \ ; ))

At point of alteration cut the wire shorter, or strip & re-terminate it.

If N & E make contact, though cutters, or just accidental contact.

A parallel path to earth is present on the Neutral leg of the CU,

(cuz all of the N's & E's are common on the CU terminal bars)

Thus RCD imbalanced.. and trips your uncle! ;)

Now why would you want us to ask ourselves why this would happen? ?:|

I supply some materials to the sos lads when they are in my area........................only new colours on the cable, either old cable or old program i think

West Midlands.....not regular but they crop up a fair few times, its the situation of whos nearest when they do these programs