bbc prog: diysos

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
West Midlands.....not regular but they crop up a fair few times, its the situation of whos nearest when they do these programs
Eh up!

that sound close?

better watch you aint trying to log on to me wireless network.... ; \

Or let me trailer tyres down! :eek: :O:|

:^O :^O:^O

I supply some materials to the sos lads when they are in my area........................only new colours on the cable, either old cable or old program i think
Think he was fitting switch to existing wiring. m8. Point I was making is that, if they show, to a national audience, a spark not marking the conductor correctly, what kind of example is that. Further, I`m quite sure that most (if not all) of you would slip a red (or maybe brown) sleeve on it, rather than leave it black? :|

Or is it just me??????????????????????

Think he was fitting switch to existing wiring. m8. Point I was making is that, if they show, to a national audience, a spark not marking the conductor correctly, what kind of example is that. Further, I`m quite sure that most (if not all) of you would slip a red (or maybe brown) sleeve on it, rather than leave it black? :| Or is it just me??????????????????????
I watch the programme but you only ever see fleeting glances of them doing anything. I'd never actually attempt anything just because i'd seen a 10 second clip of a spark wiring a switch incorrectly. For all we know he may mark it after fitting. Is that acceptable? Bit of tape? I dunno.

I don't think 'joe public' are perceptive enuff to notice these things. If they were taking you through it step by step and getting t wrong that's a whole different matter....

To a point I agree. The problem with these programmes is that they can`t show you exactly what they`ve done, `cos it`s mainly cosmetic. The underlying issues (if any) don`t get sorted.

"Oh, a stain from a water leak? we`ll deal with that".

Yeah - 2 coats of (thick) emulsion, and it`s disappeared - at least until the cameras have gone!!!!

But the point was - I wasn`t actually watching the programme - Mrs. was, I was waiting for it to finish, to watch summat else. But, even glancing idly at the tv, it was one of those things that "stood out", if you know what I mean.?

To a point I agree. The problem with these programmes is that they can`t show you exactly what they`ve done, `cos it`s mainly cosmetic. The underlying issues (if any) don`t get sorted."Oh, a stain from a water leak? we`ll deal with that".

Yeah - 2 coats of (thick) emulsion, and it`s disappeared - at least until the cameras have gone!!!!

But the point was - I wasn`t actually watching the programme - Mrs. was, I was waiting for it to finish, to watch summat else. But, even glancing idly at the tv, it was one of those things that "stood out", if you know what I mean.?
I know what you mean, BUT it only stood out to you because you're a spark. Only a mere fraction of a percentage of viewers would have noticed.

I spot glaring mistakes in TV programmes related to my profession, but most ppl wouldn't notice. :p

Point taken m8. I simply feel that, as a professional, on camera or not, the man should be doing his job with as much attention to detail (if not more) than the rest of us. :)

Maybe I`m just being picky. :( Wouldn`t be the first time I fixated on something other people consider trivial.:8} :eek: :)

I didn't see this program..

But I do know in general most of these type of makeover programs don't do a fat lot to highlight the relevant safety & regulatory issues that should be considered and applied.

There have been a few instances I have seen, that one where they are "budding property developers" with Sara Beeny Is it property ladder..

where some bod has been doing all the electrics themselves... (Not even a "DIYSOS BILLY" in sight)

to the average viewer it gives the impression that anyone can do anything!!!

I saw one where they had re-developed all of the kitchen, loads of fancy units..

but it still only had the original socket positions in....

No mention of needing a few more sockets fitted! Just type of fancy units & lights & windows etc...

whereas it could of done with at least a couple sockets more to improve accessibility for plug in appliances on the worktops! :(

I was impressed once when watching a Rouge Traders.. where they were exposing dodgy electricians...

At the end of the program they made a point of recommending everyone uses a registered spark. such as NICEIC!

I don't know why all DIY progs cant highlight the importance of compliance with relevant Electric & Gas regs? ?:|

I think a keen DIYer will pick up ideas from the TV about what they can and cant do!

I didn't see this program..But I do know in general most of these type of makeover programs don't do a fat lot to highlight the relevant safety & regulatory issues that should be considered and applied.

There have been a few instances I have seen, that one where they are "budding property developers" with Sara Beeny Is it property ladder..

where some bod has been doing all the electrics themselves... (Not even a "DIYSOS BILLY" in sight)

I saw one where they had re-developed all of the kitchen, loads of fancy units..

No mention of needing a few more sockets fitted! Just type of fancy units & lights & windows etc...

whereas it could of done with at least a couple sockets more to improve accessibility for plug in appliances on the worktops! :(

I was impressed once when watching a Rouge Traders.. where they were exposing dodgy electricians...

At the end of the program they made a point of recommending everyone uses a registered spark. such as NICEIC!

I don't know why all DIY progs cant highlight the importance of compliance with relevant Electric & Gas regs? ?:|

I think a keen DIYer will pick up ideas from the TV about what they can and cant do!
:D :x :D

one programme that angered me was tommy walsh who was building a dream workshop in his garden (cant remember the programme name). Tommy walsh did the electrics him self but i noticed that the cables may not have been in safe zones, cables utilised without a thought for loading of the cables, and to top it off he stated to comply with part p you can just get a spark to sign the job off for you!!!!!

I didn't see this program..But I do know in general most of these type of makeover programs don't do a fat lot to highlight the relevant safety & regulatory issues that should be considered and applied.

I can see your point. And I do think it gives people ideas, but it's upto them to make sure they do the things safely and legally. If all property ladder was about was which building regulation the exact headroom required for the staircase related to and which wiring regulation meant that the socet was too close to the sink - nobody would watch it.

Do we need the action to stop during a police chase and have a nice gentleman in a suit tell me about the dangers of speeding and explaining the highway code and stopping distances? I don't think so.

These programmes are watched for entertainment and would be spoilt with in-depth health and safety and regulations

Just my oppinion ;)

one programme that angered me was tommy walsh who was building a dream workshop in his garden (cant remember the programme name). Tommy walsh did the electrics him self but i noticed that the cables may not have been in safe zones, cables utilised without a thought for loading of the cables, and to top it off he stated to comply with part p you can just get a spark to sign the job off for you!!!!!
I remember that one well, Craig. And he put a Television and sound system in a "Living Area" above it.

???????????????????? ?:| ? :| Split load board.

Working on dead circuit... Mcb off (locked off even! ; \ ; ))

At point of alteration cut the wire shorter, or strip & re-terminate it.

If N & E make contact, though cutters, or just accidental contact.

A parallel path to earth is present on the Neutral leg of the CU,

(cuz all of the N's & E's are common on the CU terminal bars)

Thus RCD imbalanced.. and trips your uncle! ;)

Now why would you want us to ask ourselves why this would happen? ?:|
exactly, so wouldnt it make sense to remove the neutral when working on an RCD protected circuit. Especially if it protects multiple circuits like in your example.

exactly, so wouldnt it make sense to remove the neutral when working on an RCD protected circuit. Especially if it protects multiple circuits like in your example.
Obviously that would achieve the objective..

but also...

quicker just to reset the RCD! ;) :D

or

you cut the conductors individually... :)

or

cut back exposed conductor or a bit of tape round N on the cable you are working on? :D ;)

still quicker than Diss'ing N at CU. :D

Obviously that would achieve the objective..but also...

quicker just to reset the RCD! ;) :D

or

you cut the conductors individually... :)

or

cut back exposed conductor or a bit of tape round N on the cable you are working on? :D ;)

still quicker than Diss'ing N at CU. :D
In a domestic situ, then i would do one of the above also! ; -), i'm just arguing for something to do!

In a domestic situ, then i would do one of the above also! ; -), i'm just arguing for something to do!
:^O :^O:^O

You need to get out more.......

or you will become as sad of some of us on here... :p

mentioning no names.. ]:) ] :)

KME,

Theory,

Admin,

Steptoe........ :eek:

oh & Special Loc:^O:^O

we don't argue on here... X(

just ramble on incessantly about anything and everything! :|

I think I shall go the the pet shop see if they have any Polar Bears!? ; \ :p

You need to get out more.......or you will become as sad of some of us on here... :p

mentioning no names.. ]:) ] :)

KME,

Theory,

Admin,

Steptoe........ :eek:

oh & Special Loc:^O:^O

we don't argue on here... X(

just ramble on incessantly about anything and everything! :|

I think I shall go the the pet shop see if they have any Polar Bears!? ; \ :p
:eek:

How dare you? How very dare you? :eek: :O:O

:D