Becoming A Electrical Engineer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know mate Iv just been told I can do a hnc and then go to become an electrical engineer I'm not sure what it entails

salary,  ?

well, according to the people that sell couses,  a spark earns over 50K a year,

so I'd think an electrical engineer would earn about half a mil,,,,,

just,,,,,,  supposing

I'm just trying to remember how long it took me to do my HNC... I think it was 6 years in total,,,day release and evening

IIRC to top it up to a Bsc would be another 4 years at least (part time)

Okay, day release, 2 years ONC, 2 more years HNC, and 2 more years HND

I didn't go on to do a degree. all my efforts in obtaining the HND would only have exempted me from the first year of a BSc and by then I had had enough of learning.  In the real world experience and ability spoke more than qualifications and I was working alongside and earning the same as people with a degree.

By 2003 (when I jacked it all in and went self employed) I was earning 36K pa. Industrial machine control systems.

You have to choose this as a career path because you like it and think you have a flair for it and finds it interesting. If your motivation is that you think you can earn a lot of money, then it might not be the right choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Mathew , you're working as an electrician but want to be an electrical engineer ,   I presume this would mean you funding all the courses for a start ?   Would that be right ?  

Can you afford it financially  ?  And is it night school for the next 100 years ?