Beko Oven tripping RCD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliechap

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got a 9 month old stand alone Beko cooker model xtc611s . Today without warning (without it being in use at all) it tripped the RCD electric board.

The only thing that I think could of happened is there was a frying pan that was soaking on the hob top and it may have split the smallest amount of water/grease when I accidently bumped into it and it spilt a little over the top. We aren't talking a lot. Tbh I've had more water on the glass top when boiling spaghetti or whatever and it's been fine. But today there are issues.

The cooker is hardwired into the wall. I took the connection apart and it was bone dry. I remover the glass top incase the element was wet, but nope. Gave everything a wipe. Left it for a couple of hours then turned the switch back on at the fuse board. But it tripped instantly. Left it for a few more hours. Turned the switch on the board again, instant trip.

Now nothing is turned on on the oven. Everything is switched to off (hob/grill/oven). But the second I reset its section on the main board it instantly trips and goes off again.

I can't find it's fuse if it has one.

Where should I start?

Aside from giving it time, there is only one more thing you can do; see if there is a cooker isolator switch in the kitchen on the wall or in a cupboard. Turn it off. Check the cooker circuit will turn on at the consumer unit and not trip the RCD.

That is the best you can do without special test equipment to prove it's an appliance fault and not a fixed wiring issue.

Assuming it's the appliance, and it trips without any heating elements being turned on you are then unfortunately needing to call someone out as special test gear is needed (not just a multi-meter) to track down the fault.

A persistent and measurable fault is always the easiest to work with and it shouldn't take a decent sparks long to track this down.

I've noticed that some cookers switch the Neutral, which means that if an element fault causes leakage to earth it's an instant trip even if the thing is turned off. It might in fact be a quick and simple fix once diagnosed.

WIth a 6 month warranty, I can only assume it was not bought brand new from a reputable retailer, but instead is something else, such as an ex-demo model, or refurbished, or something?

Which then leads me to think it has perhaps been standing unused for some time, accumulating moisture e.g. in the oven/grill elements. As as Tim says, switching the N is not uncommon in some of these appliances (perhaps someone can tell me, if you were designing a cooker, why you would do that?). In which case it is going to trip an RCD straight away until the earth leakage is resolved.

If it is such a fault due to moisture, if it were dried out enough not to trip the RCD, then run for an hour or two, likely it would be in much better condition going forward. But there is always the possibility it is something else, e.g. a shorting wire, or element faulty etc. So as mentioned, it really needs someone with test equipment and the knowledge to use it to diagnose the fault.

Now nothing is turned on on the oven. Everything is switched to off (hob/grill/oven). But the second I reset its section on the main board it instantly trips and goes off again.

I can't find it's fuse if it has one.

Where should I start?

From your above comment it sounds like your oven shares an RCD with other circuits..?

In which case it is also possible that there could be some cumulative leakage from other circuits which individually would not trip the RCD, but combined they exceed 30ma.

Last edited:
"it tripped the RCD electric board."
So did the RCD on the board trip ?
Or did the individual MCB for the cooker trip ?
A MCB tripping is a sign of a short-circuit.
The RCD tripping is a sign of Earth Leakage.
Try switching off all the other MCBs that RCD feeds.