Bemco Distribution Boards

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these?  I have an office being converted into 4 flats.  The incomming supply is being moved and the DNO aren't happy to have all the meters in a communal stairwell.  Doesn't make sense to me but anyway,

They propose then bring their supply into the building.  I supply a bemco distribution board and swa to each flat (which is already installed) then 80a Switch fuse in each flat to the meter.  I then sign responsibility for my cable and switch gear to be used by DNO.  Does anyone have any ideas how much the boards cost?

Could you not use a panel board with 4 cbs in one fore each flat

I do agree with you y should u have to install cabling and equipment for the DNo

Can't a cupboard be built around them ?

I have heard of Bemco but not aware of their distribution gear, it must be similar to a Ryfield unit. This stuff is expensive but if they have speced it you have to use it. What DNO is it ?

The points you mentioned are interesting for a thread recently questioning the repair of a sub main in a property

Do you have a part No ? It is probably a metal box with a load of Henley fuse holders and a couple of large  brass  terminal strips.

I have found different DNO'S ask for different procedures. Some will ony accept meters in a common area, some only within the front door of the flat. Different rules apply if powerkey meters are being fitted in the common areas such as do you have to leave the property to get access , etc.

Also double check the paperwork about the new supply, they dont move existing anymore and may give you a TT supply  as they dont always like multiple PME'S in one buillding.

Is it this stuff, it does look similar to a Ryfield

http://www.bemco.co.uk/products1/lighting?id=99

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah similar to that slips, I pressume.

Haven't received the quote/spec yet so not 100% sure.

I've been in lots of apartments and flats that have all meters in a downstairs meter room, but apparantly this is not acceptable?  for the reason that if a card meter is installed, it is easier to top up within your flat.

yeah sorry, i meant key.   Problem is if you run out of juice you still have to go the shops to top it up, so the meters may as well go downstairs in the comunal area.  Unless you use the emergency credit.

yeah sorry, i meant key.   Problem is if you run out of juice you still have to go the shops to top it up, so the meters may as well go downstairs in the comunal area.  Unless you use the emergency credit.
But then you press the emergency credit button, unless your stupid enough to have used that up.

Edit, didn't read your post fully

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts