Former HMO to flats, main supply and meters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h595hrf

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me, i'm just trying to work out what might be possible.

The situation is that I have converted block of 10 flats, there is a main supply in, to 3 x 100 amp fuses, serving 3 different meters, this goes to 3 main fuses, and each supply is then split to 3, 3 and 4 flats, each fused to 63 amps. I pay the main supply, and have a private prepayment submeter on each flat, which collects the use of each flat.

The prepayment operator works on a % fee of each transaction, obviously as prices have gone up this has skyrocketed. As such I am wondering if it may be possible, and if so, what would need to be installed, to change the setup, to enable each flat to have their own main metered supply?

I realise this is likely to be expensive, I'm just wondering if it was possible to use the current main supply cable and just fit a box that splits it, or if they'd want to put new supply cables in?

Any help/advice anyone could give me would be much appreciatted.

You’d be best to speak to the DNO, only they can tell you if your supply is big enough to do what you need.
As for splitting, what do you have in each flat electrically?

You’d be best to speak to the DNO, only they can tell you if your supply is big enough to do what you need.
As for splitting, what do you have in each flat electrically?
From the 3 big fuses it goes to 10 x 80 amp cartridge switchfuses, and off to each flat. Each flat is fused to 63 amps in the consumer unit.

Each flat has an 8.5Kw Shower, a socket ring, a 5l undersink water heater, lights.

There also used to be a 4th electric meter, which was removed some time ago.

Yes....I was wondering if such a board existed that might make this possible....provided the supply is sufficient obviously